Middle Tennessee blanks Butler for second shutout
Nagayama collects third straight victoryFebruary 15, 2013 · @MTAthletics
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - Middle Tennessee notched its second shutout of the season with a 7-0 victory over Butler on Friday afternoon inside the Butler Bubble.
The Blue Raiders (3-4) used a dominating performance from all six players to collect their second consecutive win. MT won all three doubles matches before picking up six points in singles action. Butler (2-8) dropped its third consecutive match. The shutout was the second for Middle Tennessee this season. The Raiders knocked out Lipscomb, 7-0, on Jan. 25.
In doubles action, the tandem of Alexandra Torres and Flavia Nagayama won 8-3 over Laura Shull and Claire Cornelius. MT clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 win from the No. 2 team of Irina Constantinide and Nayara Moraes over BU's Caroline Hedrick and Brittany Farmer.
The sophomore Moraes inked her fifth singles win this season with a 6-2, 6-1 straight set victory over Adami in the No. 4 spot. Nagayama won her third straight match with a 7-5, 6-0 defeat of Butler's Farmer.
With the Blue Raiders holding a 3-0 lead, Nomoto collected the match point with a 6-3, 7-5 win over McLoughlin in the No. 1 singles spot. The freshman Constantinide collected a win at No. 2 over Hedrick (6-1, 7-5), while Nava won No. 5 over Shull (7-5, 6-2).
In the final singles point, Torres found herself in a three-set battle with Butler's Sienna Reuter. Torres won the first set 6-3, before falling in the second set 1-6. Torres won the match with a 10-4 tiebreaker in the third set.
"We came out ready to play," noted head coach Shelley Godwin. "This was a good win to get under our belts and a momentum builder for the rest of our trip."
Middle Tennessee returns to action this Sunday, Feb. 17 with a 9 a.m. CT match at Miami (Ohio). Live results will be available online at MURedHawks.com.
Middle Tennessee 7, Butler 0
1. Nomoto, Yuiri (MT) def. McLoughlin, S. (BU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Constantinide, Irina (MT) def. Hedrick, Caroline (BU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Nagayama, Flavia (MT) def. Farmer, Brittany (BU) 7-5, 6-0
4. Moraes, Nayara (MT) def. Adami, Konstantina (BU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Nava, Carla (MT) def. Shull, Laura (BU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Torres, Alexandra (MT) def. Reuter, Sienna (BU) 6-3, 1-6, 1-0 (10-4)
1. Nomoto, Yuiri/Nava, Carla (MT) def. McLoughlin, S./Adami, Konstantina (BU) 8-7 (8-6)
2. Constantinide, Irina/Moraes, Nayara (MT) def. Hedrick, Caroline/Farmer, Brittany (BU) 8-5
3. Torres, Alexandra/Nagayama, Flavia (MT) def. Shull, Laura/Cornelius, Claire (BU) 8-3
Match Notes:Middle Tennessee 3-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,3,1,2,5,6)
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Women's Tennis NewsMar 6, 2014: Raiders welcome Jackson State on Friday
Mar 1, 2014: Blue Raiders fall to Louisiana Tech, 5-2
Feb 28, 2014: Women's Tennis shuts down TSU, 7-0
Feb 27, 2014: MT Tennis plays TSU and LA Tech this weekend
Feb 22, 2014: Blue Raiders drop 5-2 match to Chattanooga
Feb 21, 2014: Women's Tennis hosts Chattanooga on Saturday