Blue Raider comeback falls short at Miami (Ohio)
Nagayama and Nava snatch singles victoriesFebruary 17, 2013 · @MTAthletics
HAMILTON, Ohio - Middle Tennessee fought back from a three point deficit, but fell short in a 5-2 loss to Miami (Ohio) on Sunday morning at the Riverside Athletic Club.
The RedHawks (3-5) won all three doubles matches before taking a 3-1 lead. The Raiders (3-5) cut the deficit to 3-2, but fell short as MU won the final two singles points. Sunday's loss snapped a two-match win streak for the Blue Raiders.
In No. 3 doubles, Miami's Chloe Heerden and Christiana Raymond defeated Flavia Nagayama and Alexandra Torres, 8-1. The Raiders lost the doubles point as Nimisha Mohan/Ana Rajkovic collected an 8-2 win over Irina Constantinide/Nayara Moraes.
Thurman, who is ranked No. 19 in the Ohio Valley region, won in straight sets (6-1, 6-1) over the freshman Constantinide. Heerden made it a 3-0 match with her 6-1, 6-1 defeat of Torres in the No. 6 spot.
Middle Tennessee bounced back with two consecutive victories. Nava, a redshirt senior, easily won the fifth spot with a 6-1, 6-3 defeat of Rajkovic. Flavia Nagayma collected her fourth straight singles victory, knocking off Mohan 6-4, 6-4.
Guerrazzi's 7-5, 7-5 victory at No. 4 over Moraes sealed the match point for Miami. In the top singles slot, Nomoto found herself in a three-set battle with Raymond. She lost the first contest 6-4, before collected a 6-3 win to force a third set. Raymond won the final set 6-2 to give Miami its' fifth point.
The Blue Raiders visit winless Austin Peay (0-3) on Wednesday, Feb. 20 at the Austin Peay Tennis Center. First serve is slated for 2 p.m. in Clarksville.
Miami 5, Middle Tennessee 2
1. Christiana Raymond (MIAMI) def. Yuiri Nomoto (MT) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
2. Alix Thurman (MIAMI) def. Irina Constantinide (MT) 6-1, 6-1
3. Flavia Nagayama (MT) def. Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) 6-4, 6-4
4. Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) def. Nayara Moraes (MT) 7-5, 7-5
5. Carla Nava (MT) def. Ana Rajkovic (MIAMI) 6-1, 6-3
6. Chloe Heerden (MIAMI) def. Alexandra Torres (MT) 6-1, 6-1
1. Alix Thurman/Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) def. Carla Nava/Yuiri Nomoto (MT) 8-7 (7-2)
2. Nimisha Mohan/Ana Rajkovic (MIAMI) def. Irina Constantinide/Nayara Moraes (MT) 8-2
3. Chloe Heerden/Christiana Raymond (MIAMI) def. Flavia Nagayama/Alexandra Torres (MT) 8-1
Middle Tennessee 3-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,6,5,3,4,1)
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Women's Tennis NewsJul 17, 2014: Women's Tennis recognized for academic achievement
Apr 29, 2014: MT's William named C-USA Newcomer of the Year
Apr 18, 2014: MT falls short in upset bid of No. 19 Tulsa
Apr 17, 2014: MT advances to C-USA Quarterfinals with win over UTSA
Apr 16, 2014: Raiders knock off FAU to advance in C-USA Championship
Apr 15, 2014: Women's Tennis plays FAU in C-USA First Round