Middle Tennessee knocks off Austin Peay, 6-1
Raiders sweep singles action for fourth winFebruary 20, 2013 · @MTAthletics
CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. - Middle Tennessee women's tennis overcame a doubles point loss to win six singles matches and snatch a 6-1 win over Austin Peay on Wednesday afternoon.
The Lady Govs (0-4) won the doubles point with two out of three wins. MT (4-5) proceeded to win all singles points and pick up their 13th straight win over APSU.
Ornella DiSalvo and Andra Cornea combined for an 8-4 win over Carla Nava and Yuiri Nomoto in the top doubles slot. In the No. 2 spot, Alison Carre and Vanessa Tavares defeated Nayra Moraes and Irina Constantinide, 8-5. MT salvaged a third set as Flavia Nagayma and Alexandra Torres won 8-2 over Jovana Karac and Mary Theresa Kubek.
Moraes collected a straight set win over Tavares, 6-2, 6-3 to put the Raiders up by two. Nagayma won her fifth straight match with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Andra Cornea. The freshman Constantinide picked up a 7-6, 6-3 win at No. 2 singles to give MT a two point edge.
MT won the match when No. 1 singles player Nomoto won a three-set battle (6-2, 6-7, 6-3) over the Lady Govs' Carre. The Blue Raiders closed out the match with two more wins as Nava defeated Karac (6-4, 6-1) and Torres over Kubek (6-0, 6-2).
"We did a good job of overcoming adversity early in the match," said head coach Shelley Godwin. "We are really starting to improve on playing together as a team and need to continue to build on our progress heading into the second half of the season."
The Blue Raiders take a much needed break until Saturday, March 2 when MT hosts in-state rival UT Martin. First serve is set for 2 p.m. at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Center.
Middle Tennessee 6, Austin Peay 1
1. Nomoto, Yuiri (MT) def. CARRE, Alison (APSU) 6-2, 6-7, 6-3
2. Constantinide, Irina (MT) def. DI SALVO, Ornella (APSU) 7-6, 6-3
3. Nagayama, Flavia (MT) def. CORNEA, Andra (APSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Moraes, Nayara (MT) def. TAVARES, Vanessa (APSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Nava, Carla (MT) def. KARAC, Jovana (APSU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Torres, Alexandra (MT) def. KUBEK, Mary Theresa (APSU) 6-0, 6-2
1. DI SALVO, Ornella/CORNEA, Andra (APSU) def. Nava, Carla/Nomoto, Yuiri (MT) 8-4
2. CARRE, Alison/TAVARES, Vanessa (APSU) def. Moraes, Nayara/Constantinide, Irina (MT) 8-5
3. Nagayama, Flavia/Torres, Alexandra (MT) def. KARAC, Jovana/KUBEK, Mary Theresa (APSU) 8-2
Middle Tennessee 4-5
Austin Peay 0-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,3,2,1,6,5)
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Women's Tennis NewsNov 2, 2013: Raiders pick up four wins in final day at Alabama
Nov 1, 2013: Constantinide claims pair of singles wins at Roberta Alison
Oct 31, 2013: Raiders close fall campaign at Roberta Alison Classic
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 21, 2013: Moraes finishes runner-up in backdraw at ITA Regionals
Oct 20, 2013: Moraes advances to backdraw semifinals at ITA Regional