MT hosts Warhawks for Senior Day contest
Blue Raiders and ULM tipoff at 3 p.m.February 22, 2013 · @MTAthletics
Middle Tennessee women's basketball hosts Senior Day on Saturday when the Blue Raiders welcome ULM in the front-end of a doubleheader. Tipoff is set for 3 p.m. inside the Murphy Center.
Matchup: ULM (7-19, 5-12 Sun Belt) at Middle Tennessee (19-7, 14-3 SBC)
Date: Saturday, Feb. 23, 2013
Time: 3:00 p.m.
Location: Murfreesboro, Tenn.
Arena: Murphy Center (11,520)
Tickets: Click here or call 1-888-YES-MTSU
Promotion: Senior Day and Women's Basketball Reunion
Overall: MT leads series, 8-0
Under Rick Insell: 8-0
In Murfreesboro: MT leads series, 3-0
Last Meeting: MT 66, ULM 48 - Jan. 12, 2013 - Monroe, La.
• Middle Tennessee (19-7, 14-3 Sun Belt) snapped a two-game losing skid with a 69-48 win over South Alabama on Wednesday. All-America candidate Ebony Rowe (RaidersRowe.com) inked her 47th double-double (18p/11r), while Icelyn Elie grabbed her third this season (11p/11r).
• The Raiders close out the 2012-13 homestand with ULM. Earlier this season, MT won 66-48 at ULM.
• MT holds a two-game lead in the SBC East Division. A win on would move the magic number to one.
• A win on Saturday would give the women's basketball program its 21st 20-win season in school history. It would also give the Raiders their ninth straight, including eight of those under Rick Insell.
• Prior to Saturday's game, the Blue Raider Varsity Club will hold a women's basketball reunion with several greats ranging from the 1960s to the 2000s.
• Ebony Rowe leads the Raiders with 20.9 points and 10.7 rebounds per game. Kortni Jones follows with 15.1 and Icelyn Elie with 14 points per game in 26 contests this season.
• There are four Top 25 NCAA categories in which Ebony Rowe ranks. She is 13th in double-doubles (15), 14th in points (20.9), 16th in field goal percentage (54.9) and 22nd in rebounds per game (10.7).
• ULM (7-19, 5-12) has lost four out of its last five games, including a heart breaking 65-63 loss at Western Kentucky on Wednesday. Junior Alexar Tugler missed a deep 3-point attempt at the buzzer as the Lady Toppers survived.
• The Warhawks are third in the league in assists (12.5 apg) and blocked shots (3.9 bpg). ULM is averaging 61.1 points per game, while opponents are scoring 69.8 each contest. From the field, ULM is shooting 39 percent and pulling in 38.8 rebounds per game.
• Three are three Warhawks averaging double figures. Junior forward Ashleigh Simmons leads ULM with 11.7 points and 7.8 rebounds per game. Alexar Tugler and Jasmine Shaw are each averaging 10.5 points each contest. Tugler is the team's assist leader with 87 and three-point maker with 28. Shaw has grabbed an average of 4.8 rebounds per game. Elexar Tugler is posting 7.1 points per contest.
• Coach Mona Martin is in her 18th season at ULM. She holds a 249-270 record during that span. Like Coach Insell, Martin is a former high school coach that moved to the college ranks. She is the all-time winningest coach at ULM.
Series with the Warhawks
• Middle Tennessee and ULM are meeting for the ninth time between the two programs with MT holding an 8-0 lead. MT has won all three previous meetings at the Murphy Center.
• The series began on Dec. 17, 2006 as MT picked up a 103-89 decision over the Warhawks. Since the series has begun, the closet margin of victory was a 64-61 win for MT on Jan. 24, 2008. • Earlier this season, MT routed ULM, 66-48, at Fant-Ewing Coliseum. Ebony Rowe inked 32 points and grabbed nine boards, while Icelyn Elie scored 15 points and had 10 rebounds versus ULM.
• Coach Rick Insell has been at the helm of the Blue Raider program since the series started with ULM in 2006.
In Sun Belt Play
• Coach Rick Insell is a remarkable 120-15 against Sun Belt competition in the regular season. His win total ranks fourth in the SBC and his winning percentage (.889) is second all-time behind Louisiana Tech's Leon Barmore.
• During the past two seasons, MT has won 30 out of its' last 33 regular season SBC games.
• Following Saturday afternoon's game with ULM, the MT Athletic Department will recognize the four Blue Raider seniors for their accomplishments. Manager Whitney Gordon, Icelyn Elie, Kortni Jones and Dymon Raynor will each be honored.
• The Raiders have averaged a margin of +12.3 points per game during the last 16 games.
• MT has shot 42 percent from the field, while averaging 66.9 points per contest.
• Rowe, Jones and Elie are all boasting above their regular season averages during the past 14 games. Rowe is pacing MT with 21 points, followed by Jones with 16 and Elie with 14 per game.
At Home Under Insell
• Middle Tennessee holds a daunting 101-12 record under Coach Rick Insell inside the friendly confines of the Murphy Center.
• MT owns a 68-3 (.958) home conference record inside the Murphy Center under head coach Rick Insell, who took over the program prior to the 2005-06 campaign.
Sun Belt Tournament Outlook
• Middle Tennessee holds a two game lead in the Sun Belt East division with three games remaining. The Blue Raiders also lead the conference with a record of 14-3 in league play this season.
• MT's magic number is two. The Blue Raiders need to win two of the next three to clinch the regular season title. Or MT can clinch with a win and a WKU loss.
• The No. 1 overall seed will play the winner of the No. 8 vs. No. 9 seed on Saturday, March 9 at Noon.
On the Brink of 20
• A win on Saturday would Middle Tennessee its 21st season of reaching 20 or more wins in program history. The Raiders have reached the 20-win plateau in nine consecutive seasons, eight of which were under the direction of Rick Insell.
• There are three MT players that have notched 1,000 points during their respective careers.
• Ebony Rowe reached 1,000 last season and currently is ninth all-time with 1,5612 points.
• Oak Ridge's Kortni Jones hit 1,000 points with her 21 against North Texas (Dec. 27) and ranks 19th with 1,242 points.
• Icelyn Elie became the 28th addition by reaching the 1,000 plateau at Arkansas State on Jan. 2. She has reached 1,187 in her career.
• The 2009-10 roster featured seven eventual 1,000-point scorers: Brandi Brown, Alysha Clark, Icelyn Elie, Kortni Jones, Anne Marie Lanning, Chelsia Lymon and Jackie Pickel.
• Since his arrival in 2005, Coach Insell has coached at least one season for 12 of the 28 1,000-point club members.
Experience Pays Off
• Middle Tennessee's Icelyn Elie, Kortni Jones and Ebony Rowe have all reached double-figures in 11 out of the last 15 games.
• Rowe has shot 60 percent during that 15 game stretch. Meanwhile, Kortni Jones has reached 20 or more points in five out of thel last eight games. On the boards, Icelyn Elie has registered five or more rebounds in 15 consecutive contests.
• The tandem has put together 4,041 points in 9,637 minutes of action in a combined 319 games played.
• For opponents, it's hard to guess which Raider might strike while the iron is hot. MT is the only team in the nation to have three different players score 30-plus points in different games this season. Ebony Rowe has accomplished this feat twice (Jan. 12 & Jan. 16). Icelyn Elie inked 30 against Memphis (Nov. 11), while Kortni Jones put up 32 versus Arkansas State (Feb. 6).
• There have been only 17 other teams across the nation to have two different players reach 30-plus points this season.
Ebony Rowe All-America Campaign
• The MT Athletic Communications office rolled out the Ebony Rowe for All-America campaign.
• MT Athletics launched a Twitter account (@RaidersRowe) for fans and media to follow on the junior's progress this season, while encouraging followers to use the #RaidersRowe hashtag.
• An interactive website, RaidersRowe.com, highlights Rowe's academic and athletic successes since she joined the program.
Rick Insell Live
• Rick Insell Live presented by Ascend Federal Credit Union airs each Monday evening at 6 p.m. The hour-long program will air on WGNS 1450 AM, WMOT 89.5 FM, WNSR 590 AM in Nashville and WDUC 93.9 FM in Tullahoma. The Voice of the Raiders, Dick Palmer, will host the show each week.
Rankings in the Sun Belt
• Middle Tennessee leads the Sun Belt with a scoring margin of +10.5 and 15.2 offensive rebounds per game. MT is is second in three other categories: assists per game (13.1), turnover margin (+3.65), and assist/turnover ratio (0.81). Junior Ebony Rowe leads the SBC with 5.3 offensive rebounds per game and a 54.9 field goal percentage. Rowe is second in points (20.9), rebounds (10.7) and minutes played (39.2). Guard Kortni Jones leads the SBC with 4.5 assists and is third with 2.27 triples made per game. Shanice Cason is third with 2.46 steals per game.
National Statistical Rankings
• The Raiders are in the top 75 in four categories as released by the NCAA on Feb. 22. MT is 43rd in scoring margin (+10.5), 45th in turnover margin (+3.65), 70th in scoring offense (67.5 ppg) and 74th in field goal percentage (41.4).
• MT has four players in the top 100. Ebony Rowe ranks 14th with 20.9 points per game, 22nd with 10.7 rebounds a contest and tied for 13th with 15 double-doubles. Rowe is 16th in field goal percentage (54.9), while Icelyn Elie is listed 81st (46.4). Kortni Jones ranks 72nd with 2.27 triples per game and is 76th with 4.5 assists. Shanice Cason is 92nd in the NCAA with 2.46 steals.
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Women's Basketball NewsMay 14, 2013: Blue Raiders sign High Point standout Parker
May 8, 2013: Insell set to be inducted into Cannon Courier Hall of Fame
Apr 15, 2013: Rowe named Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholar
Apr 12, 2013: Women's basketball announces summer camp dates
Apr 8, 2013: Fuller resigns to accept position at Ole Miss
Apr 6, 2013: Rowe earns WBCA Honorable Mention All-America accolade