Blue Raiders fall to No. 38 Tulane
Senior Nava snatches lone point for MTApril 5, 2013 · @MTAthletics
MURFREESBORO - Senior Carla Nava captured the lone point for Middle Tennessee as the Blue Raider women's tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision to No. 38 Tulane on Friday at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Complex.
Tulane (14-6) collected the doubles point with two wins. In singles action, the Green Wave grabbed five of six to pick up the win. The Blue Raiders fell to 8-9 overall this season with the loss.
To open up the match, the MT tandem of Nava and Alexandra Torres dropped an 8-1 decision to Emma Levy and Jenny Hois. The No. 2 doubles duo of Flavia Nagayama and Yuiri Nomoto fell 8-3 to TU's Caroline Magnusson and Caroline Thornton.
Magnusson opened singles play with a 6-1, 6-0 defeat of the freshman Torres at the six position. The senior Nomoto fell 6-3, 6-2 to the hands of Hois, while the Green Wave's No. 66 ranked Klara Vyskocilova defeated Irina Constantinide (6-2, 6-2) to secure the win.
In the three position, Levy knocked off Nagayama in two close set, 6-4, 6-2. Mexico City native Nava collected MT's only point with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Thornton. Ipek Birol closed out the match by defeating the Raiders' Nayara Moraes by a score of 6-0, 6-2.
Middle Tennessee looks to bounce back on Sunday with a Noon match against Sun Belt Conference foe Arkansas State. Prior to the contest, the MT Athletics department will recognize the seniors Nava and Nomoto for their contributions to the program. Live results of Sunday's contest will be available online at GoBlueRaiders.com.
#38 Tulane 6, Middle Tennessee 1
1. Klara Vyskocilova (TLN) def. Constantinide, Irina (MT) 6-2, 6-2
2. Jenny Hois (TLN) def. Nomoto, Yuiri (MT) 6-3, 6-2
3. Emma Levy (TLN) def. Nagayama, Flavia (MT) 6-4, 6-2
4. Ipek Birol (TLN) def. Moraes, Nayara (MT) 6-0, 6-2
5. Nava, Carla (MT) def. Caroline Thornton (TLN) 6-1, 6-2
6. Caroline Magnusson (TLN) def. Torres, Alexandra (MT) 6-1, 6-0
1. Moraes, Nayara/Constantinide, Irina (MT) vs. Klara Vyskocilova/Ipek Birol (TLN) 5-6, unfinished
2. Caroline Magnusson/Caroline Thornton (TLN) def. Nagayama, Flavia/Nomoto, Yuiri (MT) 8-3
3. Emma Levy/Jenny Hois (TLN) def. Nava, Carla/Torres, Alexandra (MT) 8-1
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Women's Tennis NewsApr 16, 2014: Raiders knock off FAU to advance in C-USA Championship
Apr 15, 2014: Women's Tennis plays FAU in C-USA First Round
Apr 14, 2014: Raiders take on FAU in First Round of C-USA Championship
Apr 13, 2014: Blue Raiders fall to No. 31 Tennessee
Apr 12, 2014: Women's Tennis visits No. 31 Tennessee on Sunday
Apr 9, 2014: Middle Tennessee summer camp dates announced