Blue Raiders fall to No. 38 Tulane
Senior Nava snatches lone point for MTApril 5, 2013 · @MTAthletics
MURFREESBORO - Senior Carla Nava captured the lone point for Middle Tennessee as the Blue Raider women's tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision to No. 38 Tulane on Friday at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Complex.
Tulane (14-6) collected the doubles point with two wins. In singles action, the Green Wave grabbed five of six to pick up the win. The Blue Raiders fell to 8-9 overall this season with the loss.
To open up the match, the MT tandem of Nava and Alexandra Torres dropped an 8-1 decision to Emma Levy and Jenny Hois. The No. 2 doubles duo of Flavia Nagayama and Yuiri Nomoto fell 8-3 to TU's Caroline Magnusson and Caroline Thornton.
Magnusson opened singles play with a 6-1, 6-0 defeat of the freshman Torres at the six position. The senior Nomoto fell 6-3, 6-2 to the hands of Hois, while the Green Wave's No. 66 ranked Klara Vyskocilova defeated Irina Constantinide (6-2, 6-2) to secure the win.
In the three position, Levy knocked off Nagayama in two close set, 6-4, 6-2. Mexico City native Nava collected MT's only point with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Thornton. Ipek Birol closed out the match by defeating the Raiders' Nayara Moraes by a score of 6-0, 6-2.
Middle Tennessee looks to bounce back on Sunday with a Noon match against Sun Belt Conference foe Arkansas State. Prior to the contest, the MT Athletics department will recognize the seniors Nava and Nomoto for their contributions to the program. Live results of Sunday's contest will be available online at GoBlueRaiders.com.
#38 Tulane 6, Middle Tennessee 1
1. Klara Vyskocilova (TLN) def. Constantinide, Irina (MT) 6-2, 6-2
2. Jenny Hois (TLN) def. Nomoto, Yuiri (MT) 6-3, 6-2
3. Emma Levy (TLN) def. Nagayama, Flavia (MT) 6-4, 6-2
4. Ipek Birol (TLN) def. Moraes, Nayara (MT) 6-0, 6-2
5. Nava, Carla (MT) def. Caroline Thornton (TLN) 6-1, 6-2
6. Caroline Magnusson (TLN) def. Torres, Alexandra (MT) 6-1, 6-0
1. Moraes, Nayara/Constantinide, Irina (MT) vs. Klara Vyskocilova/Ipek Birol (TLN) 5-6, unfinished
2. Caroline Magnusson/Caroline Thornton (TLN) def. Nagayama, Flavia/Nomoto, Yuiri (MT) 8-3
3. Emma Levy/Jenny Hois (TLN) def. Nava, Carla/Torres, Alexandra (MT) 8-1
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Women's Tennis NewsNov 2, 2013: Raiders pick up four wins in final day at Alabama
Nov 1, 2013: Constantinide claims pair of singles wins at Roberta Alison
Oct 31, 2013: Raiders close fall campaign at Roberta Alison Classic
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 21, 2013: Moraes finishes runner-up in backdraw at ITA Regionals
Oct 20, 2013: Moraes advances to backdraw semifinals at ITA Regional