Blue Raiders perform well in Senior Day win over ASU
Seniors Nava and Nomoto claim big three-set victoriesApril 7, 2013 · @MTAthletics
MURFREESBORO - Middle Tennessee used a dominating Senior Day performance to defeat Arkansas State 6-1 on Sunday at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Complex.
The Blue Raiders (9-9) won two of three doubles contests and picked up five singles wins to collect their third win over a Sun Belt opponent this season. With the loss, Arkansas State fell to 5-8 and has dropped three out of their last four.
MT opened doubles with an 8-3 victory from No. 2 duo Yuiri Nomoto and Flavia Nagayama over the Red Wolves' Tamara Slijepcevic and Jess Hepps-Eriksen. ASU earned a doubles win when Ioana Teu and Janie Nowland knocked off Nayara Moraes and Irina Constantinide 8-4. The tandem of Carla Nava and Alexandra Torres helped the Raiders clinch the doubles point with an 8-3 victory over Biljana Miloshevska and Sofia Krsmanovic.
Arkansas State evened the match at 1-1 when Slijpecevic picked up a 6-3, 6-1 win over Constantinide in the top spot.
Nagayama won her team-best 13th match with a 6-3, 6-2 decision over Miloshevska at the No. 3 position. Moraes snatched a 6-2, 6-1 win over Teu at the No. 4 position, giving MT its' third point. Torres, a true freshman, helped the Raiders clinch the match as she defeated Krsmanovic, 6-2, 6-2.
Both seniors Nava and Nomoto worked extra hard to pick up their wins on Sunday. Nomoto dropped her first set to Nowland 3-6, but bounced back with a 6-2 win in set two and a 12-10 tie-breaking win. Nava won her third consecutive contest with a 6-2, 5-7, 11-9 victory.
"This was a good team effort today," said Godwin. "Everyone brought good energy as the team was excited to play for our seniors Carla and Yuiri. They both did a great job of leading with their fight and we are thankful for all they have done for this program throughout their careers."
Middle Tennessee closes out the home schedule this season with a 2 p.m. match against Samford at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Complex.
Middle Tennessee 6, Arkansas State 1
1. Slijepcevic, Tamara (ASU) def. Constantinide, Irina (MT) 6-3, 6-1
2. Nomoto, Yuiri (MT) def. Nowland, Janie (ASU) 3-6, 6-2, 12-10
3. Nagayama, Flavia (MT) def. Miloshevska, Biljana (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Moraes, Nayara (MT) def. Teu, Ioana (ASU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Nava, Carla (MT) def. Hepps-Eriksen, Jess (ASU) 6-2, 5-7, 11-9
6. Torres, Alexandra (MT) def. Krsmanovic, Sofia (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Teu, Ioana/Nowland, Janie (ASU) def. Moraes, Nayara/Constantinide, Irina (MT) 8-4
2. Nomoto, Yuiri/Nagayama, Flavia (MT) def. Slijepcevic, Tamara/Hepps-Eriksen, Jess (ASU) 8-3
3. Nava, Carla/Torres, Alexandra (MT) def. Miloshevska, Biljana/Krsmanovic, Sofia (ASU) 8-3
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Women's Tennis NewsMar 10, 2014: Women's Tennis drops 4-3 heartbreaker to BU
Mar 9, 2014: MT visits South Florida for three matches
Mar 7, 2014: Women's Tennis shuts down Jackson State for sixth win
Mar 6, 2014: Raiders welcome Jackson State on Friday
Mar 1, 2014: Blue Raiders fall to Louisiana Tech, 5-2
Feb 28, 2014: Women's Tennis shuts down TSU, 7-0