Middle Tennessee falls to Troy, 6-1
Nagayama claims 15th win of the seasonApril 13, 2013 · @MTAthletics
DENTON, Texas - Middle Tennessee women's tennis couldn't stop a hot Troy team, as the Blue Raiders fell 6-1 to the Trojans on a neutral court Saturday morning.
The Blue Raiders (10-10) dropped all three doubles matches and lost five of six in singles action to drop a third match to a Sun Belt opponent this season. Troy improved to 17-5 on the season.
In the top doubles spot, the Raiders' Irina Constantinide and Yuiri Nomoto fell 8-1 to Karoline Grymel and Lyubox Dorofeeva. In the final doubles competition, the Trojan's Hannah Toro and Rosaura Ramirez-Vega knocked off Carla Nava and Flavia Nagayama, 8-5.
Nagayama claimed her team-best 15th victory, 5-2 in the first set, as Troy's Toro exited early due to injury. Troy won all remaining singles points, beginning with a 6-0, 6-1 straight-set sweep from Ramirez-Vega over Mathews in the six slot.
In the No. 5 spot, Munoz Giron picked up a 6-0, 6-0 shutout over Torres. At the top singles spot, Grymel won 6-1, 6-1 over Middle Tennessee freshman Constantinide.
Troy's Dorofeeva won over Nomoto (6-3, 6-0) in the number two position. Nava's three-match win streak was snapped with a 7-6 (4), 2-6, 1-0 (10-6) loss.
The Blue Raiders close out the 2013 regular season on Sunday with an 11 a.m. first serve at No. 74 North Texas. Full results of the match will be available online at GoBlueRaiders.com.
Troy 6, Middle Tennessee 1
1. Karoline Grymel (TROY) def. Constantinide, Irina (MT) 6-1, 6-1
2. Lyubov Dorofeeva (TROY) def. Nomoto, Yuiri (MT) 6-3, 6-0
3. Nagayama, Flavia (MT) def. Hannah Toro (TROY) 5-2, retired
4. Anja Cosovic (TROY) def. Nava, Carla (MT) 7-6 (7-4), 2-6, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Candela Munoz Giron (TROY) def. Torres, Alexandra (MT) 6-0, 6-0
6. Rosaura Ramirez-Vega (TROY) def. Mathews, Taylor (MT) 6-0, 6-1
1. Karoline Grymel/Lyubov Dorofeeva (TROY) def. Constantinide, Irina/Nomoto, Yuiri (MT) 8-1
2. Hannah Toro/Rosaura Ramirez-Vega (TROY) def. Nava, Carla/Nagayama, Flavia (MT) 8-5
3. #90 Candela Munoz Giron/Anja Cosovic (TROY) def. Torres, Alexandra/Mathews, Taylor (MT) 8-0
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Women's Tennis NewsNov 2, 2013: Raiders pick up four wins in final day at Alabama
Nov 1, 2013: Constantinide claims pair of singles wins at Roberta Alison
Oct 31, 2013: Raiders close fall campaign at Roberta Alison Classic
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 21, 2013: Moraes finishes runner-up in backdraw at ITA Regionals
Oct 20, 2013: Moraes advances to backdraw semifinals at ITA Regional