Blue Raiders fall at No. 74 North Texas
Regular season ends, focus shifts to SBC TournamentApril 14, 2013 · @MTAthletics
DENTON, Texas - Middle Tennessee dropped a 4-0 match to No. 74 North Texas at the Waranch Tennis Complex on Sunday to close out the regular season.
MT lost two of three doubles before falling in the first three singles contests. The match was completed early once a decision was made so that the Raiders could return home. MT fell to 10-11 on the season, while North Texas moved to 15-5.
The Mean Green tandem of Dane Joubert and Illona Serchenko started the match with an 8-0 sweep of MT freshmen Alexandra Torres and Taylor Mathews at court three. An 8-5 decision from North Texas' Velntina Starkova/Barbora Vykydalova over Yuiri Nomoto/Irina Constantinide at the top spot decided the match. Middle Tennessee was leading the unfinished match, as Carla Nava/Flavia Nagyama had a 6-5 lead over Kseniya Bardabush and Franziska Sprinkmeyer at the No. 2 position.
To open singles action, Serchenko collected a 6-1, 6-1 straight set sweep over Alexandra Torres at the fifth position. Agustina Valenzuela found a 6-0, 6-2 win over Mathews to put the Mean Green up by two. North Texas completed the shutout as Starkova notched a 7-6, 6-1 victory over the junior Nagayama.
There were three unfinished doubles matches as Nomoto and Nava both were in tight contests at the No. 2 and No. 4 courts. Bardabush led the freshman Constantinide 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 before the match was called.
Middle Tennessee turns its focus to next weekend's Sun Belt Conference Tournament in Lafayette, La. Full details of the bracket and matchups will be announced early this week.
#74 North Texas 4, Middle Tennessee 0
1. Bardabush, Kseniya (NT) vs. Constantinide, Irina (MT) 6-1, 3-6, 1-0, unfinished
2. Vykydalova, Barbora (NT) vs. Nomoto, Yuiri (MT) 7-6, unfinished
3. Starkova, Valentina (NT) def. Nagayama, Flavia (MT) 7-6, 6-1
4. Sprinkmeyer, Franzis (NT) vs. Nava, Carla (MT) 6-7, unfinished
5. Serchenko, Illona (NT) def. Torres, Alexandra (MT) 6-1, 6-1
6. Valenzuela, Agustina (NT) def. Mathews, Taylor (MT) 6-0, 6-2
1. Starkova, Valentina/Vykydalova, Barbora (NT) def. Nomoto, Yuiri/Constantinide, Irina (MT) 8-5
2. Bardabush, Kseniya/Sprinkmeyer, Franzis (NT) vs. Nava, Carla/Nagayama, Flavia (MT) 5-6, unfinished
3. Joubert, Dane/Serchenko, Illona (NT) def. Torres, Alexandra/Mathews, Taylor (MT) 8-0
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Women's Tennis NewsApr 18, 2014: MT falls short in upset bid of No. 19 Tulsa
Apr 17, 2014: MT advances to C-USA Quarterfinals with win over UTSA
Apr 16, 2014: Raiders knock off FAU to advance in C-USA Championship
Apr 15, 2014: Women's Tennis plays FAU in C-USA First Round
Apr 14, 2014: Raiders take on FAU in First Round of C-USA Championship
Apr 13, 2014: Blue Raiders fall to No. 31 Tennessee