Four Raiders ranked after summer league success
MT had eight players earn accolades this summerSeptember 16, 2013 · @MTAthletics
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Middle Tennessee baseball players racked up a few more honors for their performances during the summer.
Adkins was voted the 17th best prospect in the Valley League by national publication Perfect Game after a standout summer with the Staunton Braves. The catcher was stout behind the plate and was voted the Braves Defensive Player of the Year. Adkins finished the summer with 25 hits and 15 RBI.
Curtis, who was tabbed the Texas Collegiate League Left-Handed Pitcher of the Year, was ranked as the third best prospect by Perfect Game and the fourth by Baseball America. Curtis and the Brazos Valley Bombers went on to win the TCL league title and were recently tabbed the 2013 Perfect Game National Champions.
Miller garnered mid-season and postseason honors in the Coastal Plain League, finishing the year with a .347 batting average for the regular season league champion Edenton Steamers. Miller was ranked the 29th best prospect in the CPL.
In the Great Lakes League, Slatton was named the 17th top prospect for 2013. The right-hander gave up just 15 earned runs and fanned 24 in 33 innings for the Lake Erie Monarchs. Blue Raider Keaton Baker was honored by the Great Lakes League as 2013 All-Star. Baker held a 2.06 ERA and a 3-2 record in 39.1 innings thrown.
There were four others who earned All-Star recognition. Austin Bryant was tabbed a Summer Collegiate Baseball League All-Star after hitting .284 and notching 17 RBI for the Pineville Pioneers.
Jared Allen also earned Coastal Plain League accolades for his performance. Allen was a mid-season All-Star for the Thomasville Hi-Toms, hitting .269 with five homers and 19 RBIs.
After an injury that kept him out in 2013, Murfreesboro native Jonathan Sisco was named to the Tennessee Summer Collegiate Baseball Association postseason team. Sisco paced the Nashville Classics with a .269 average in 17 contests.
Fall practice is underway for the Blue Raiders. The fall season culminates with the annual Blue-White World Series, which is set to begin on Oct. 19.
BLUE RAIDERS WITH SUMMER LEAGUE HONORS
Jared Allen - Thomasville Hi-Toms (Coastal Plain League)
- Selected as Coastal Plain League All-Star
Michael Adkins - Staunton Braves (Valley League)
- Was voted 17th best prospect in the Valley League by Perfect Game
- Voted the Staunton Braves Defensive Player of the Year
Keaton Baker - Lima Locos (Great Lakes League)
- Voted Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League All-Star
Austin Bryant - Pineville Pioneers (Southern Collegiate League)
- Selected as a 2013 Southern Collegiate Baseball League All-Star
Zac Curtis - Brazos Valley Bombers (Texas Collegiate League)
- Voted first team Texas Collegiate League and named TCL Left-Handed Pitcher of the Year
- Was part of the TCL League Champions
- Brazos Valley named the 2013 Perfect Game National Champions
- Voted No. 3 prospect in TCL by Perfect Game
- Selected as No. 4 prospect in TCL by Baseball America
Trent Miller - Edenton Steamers (Coastal Plain League)
- Voted to the regular season CPL All-Star team
- Selected to the CPL First Team All-Star squad
- Ranked 29th best prospect in the CPL by Perfect Game
Heath Slatton - Lake Erie Monarchs (Great Lakes League)
- Voted 17th best prospect in the Great Lakes League by Perfect Game
Jonathan Sisco - Nashville Classics (Tennessee Summer Collegiate Baseball Association)
- Named to the All-TSCBA postseason team
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Baseball NewsMar 7, 2014: MT downs UAB 4-3 to open C-USA play
Mar 6, 2014: Raiders open C-USA play at UAB
Mar 5, 2014: Raiders beat by No. 6 Vanderbilt, 4-3
Mar 5, 2014: Road closures in place for tonight's game vs. Vanderbilt
Mar 4, 2014: MT hosts No. 6 Vanderbilt Wednesday
Mar 2, 2014: MT downed by Kent State, 6-5