Blue Raiders open road trip in Coral Gables
MT and Hurricanes tip-off at 7 p.m. CT on FridayNovember 14, 2013 · @MTAthletics
Middle Tennessee opens a two-game road trip with a visit to Miami on Friday, Nov. 15. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT at the BankUnited Center in Coral Gables, Fla.
Matchup: Middle Tennessee (0-1) at Miami (1-1)
Date: Friday, Nov. 15, 2013
Time: 7:00 p.m. CT
Location: Coral Gables, Fla.
Arena: BankUnited Center (7,900)
Overall: UM leads series, 1-0
Under Rick Insell: First Meeting
In Miami: UM leads series, 1-0
Last Meeting: UM 80, MT 76 - Dec. 30, 1980 - Coral Gables, Fla.
Play-by-Play: Dick Palmer
Live Video (Hurricane Sports) - Live Audio - Live Stats
• Middle Tennessee returns to the hardwood for the first time in a week after battling No. 4 Tennessee in front of 11,227 at the Murphy Center. The Raiders led by as many as 14 before falling 67-57 to the Lady Vols. Ebony Rowe led MT with 21 points and 16 rebounds, while Shanice Cason also picked up her first career double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
• Three freshmen made their collegiate debuts last week. Olivia Jones became the first freshman to earn double figures (10 points) in a season opener since Ebony Rowe did so in 2010. China Dow had eight points and three steals, while Ty Petty logged three minutes.
• Middle Tennessee opens a two-game road swing with its second meeting against Miami. The Raiders fell 80-76 in Coral Gables in the first-ever meeting on Dec. 30, 1980.
• Ebony Rowe (1,740) is just 16 points away from reaching eighth on MT's all-time scoring ledger.
• Head Coach Rick Insell (199-63) is looking for his 200th career victory on Friday evening.
MT vs. the ACC
• Middle Tennessee meets an ACC opponent for the first time since playing at Georgia Tech on Dec. 3, 2010. The Yellow Jackets won that contest 68-48 in Atlanta. • MT is 0-4 all-time under coach Rick Insell against Atlantic Coast Conference foes.
• The Raiders last defeated an ACC program, No. 21/22 NC State, 60-58 on March 19, 2005 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. MT's other wins against ACC programs include North Carolina (3/21/2004) and Clemson (11/29/1985).
In the Sunshine State
• Florida is no stranger to Middle Tennessee. The Blue Raiders have an impressive 12-4 mark under Rick Insell with victories at Florida Atlantic, FIU and UCF.
• MT's last non-conference game in Florida was a 77-73 win over UCF on Dec. 7, 2010.
• MT travels to Florida four different times this year with another visit coming up on Nov. 29-Dec. 1 in Naples, Fla. Followed up by visits to UCF and USF on Dec. 16 & Dec. 18 and finally at FIU and FAU on Feb. 12 and Feb. 15.
• Middle Tennessee garnered 10 votes in the latest Associated Press and USA Today Sports Coaches Top 25 polls released this week. MT earned eight votes for 33rd in the AP poll, while garnering 10 votes for 34th in the coaches poll.
Raiders Fight with No. 4 Lady Vols
• Middle Tennessee played toe-to-toe with No. 4 Tennessee including holding a 14-point lead against the Lady Vols. UT came back in the second half to edge the Raiders, 67-57.
• Ebony Rowe led MT with 21 points and 16 rebounds, while Shanice Cason also registered a double-double with 10 points and 10 boards. Freshman Olivia Jones had 10 points in the loss. There were 11,227 on hand for the game, making it the second largest in program history.
Freshmen Make Debut
• Three Blue Raider freshmen made their collegiate debuts against No. 4 Tennessee.
• Olivia Jones became the first MT freshman since Ebony Rowe on Nov. 14, 2010 to register double-figures with the 10 points.
• China Dow tallied eight points, grabbed four rebounds and collected three steals in 17 minutes.
• Meanwhile, guard Ty Petty logged three minutes against the Lady Vols.
Cason Reaches New Mark
• Junior guard Shanice Cason recorded her first career double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds. The Murfreesboro native matched a career-high 10 rebounds. She scored double-figures for the first time since registering 10 against South Alabama on Feb. 20, 2013.
Insell Vying for 200th Victory
• Rick Insell broke Lewis Bivens' all-time record with his 183rd victory on Jan. 5, 2013 at South Alabama. His win percentage of .762 (199-62) is eighth among active Division I coaches.
• With his next victory, Insell will join current men's basketball head coach Kermit Davis as the only coaches to reach 200 victories at Middle Tennessee.
• MT joins two other schools (Gonzaga and UALR) in having their current men's and women's coaches as the all-time wins leaders.
• Miami (1-1) is coming off a 57-50 loss to Richmond at the BankUnited Center on Sunday. The Hurricanes opened the season with 79-39 win over North Florida last Friday. Three players are averaging double-figures with guard Suirya McGuire posting 13 points per contest. Jessica Thomas is tallying 11.5 points, while Krystal Saunders is scoring 10.5 each game. Keyona Hayes is the leading rebounder with 7.5 boards in two contests. Miami is 148-107 under Head Coach Katie Meier since her arrival nine seasons ago.
After a Loss
• Middle Tennessee has often rebounded after a loss. The Blue Raiders are an impressive 39-18 under Rick Insell after suffering a loss the game before.
• Ebony Rowe (1,740) is ninth all-time at MT in scoring after passing Krystle Horton ('06). She is just 16 points shy of tying Alysha Clark ('10) for eighth all-time in program history.
• The forward holds three school records in double-doubles (54), offensive rebounds (516) and total rebounds (1,030).
• The forward is third all-time in defensive boards (514).
• Rowe ranks eighth in Blue Raider history in blocks with 88. She is within one of Tawanya Mucker ('89), who has 89, and six behind Tia Stovall ('06), who blocked 93 shots in her time as a Blue Raider.
The Double Dilemma
• Ebony Rowe holds the school-record with 54 double-doubles.
• The Lexington, Ky., product finished second with 21 double-doubles in a single season. The all-time mark is 25 held by Robin Hendrix ('82).
• Against Tennessee, Rowe scored 20+ points and 15+ rebounds for the first time since registering 22/15 against Florida Atlantic on Jan. 9, 2013.
• Rowe has reached double figures in 94 of 97 games in her career. She has registered seven straight games in double-figures and her ninth straight game with 10 or more rebounds.
• She is four games away from reaching fifth all-time currently held by Jamie Thomatis ('01).
Trio of Tennessee natives ink NLIs
• Middle Tennessee signed three players for the class of 2014, all of which have TSSAA state tournament experience. MT signed forward Gabby Lyon (Science Hill HS), Rebecca Reuter (Bradley Central HS), and Abbey Sissom (Cannon County HS).
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Women's Basketball NewsApr 10, 2014: Rowe named TSHF Female Amateur Athlete of the Year
Apr 9, 2014: Laken Leonard earns C-USA Spirit of Service Award
Apr 5, 2014: Rowe named WBCA All-America Honorable Mention
Apr 3, 2014: Raiders featured in Women's Final Four festivities
Apr 2, 2014: Rowe tabbed AP All-America Honorable Mention
Apr 1, 2014: Alysha Clark will not return in 2014-15