MT continues challenging slate with No. 7 Kentucky
Sunday's 4 p.m. contest televised locally on MyTV 30November 22, 2013 · @MTAthletics
The Middle Tennessee women's basketball team returns home for another top 10 matchup. The Blue Raiders host No. 7/7 Kentucky in a 4 p.m. this Sunday, Nov. 24. The contest is televised locally on MyTV 30.
Matchup: No. 7/7 Kentucky at Middle Tennessee
Date: Sunday, Nov. 24
Time: 4:00 p.m.
Location: Murfreesboro, Tenn.
Arena: Murphy Center (11,520)
Tickets: Click here or call 1-888-YES-MTSU
Overall: UK leads series, 10-4
Under Rick Insell: 2-3 vs. UK
In Murfreesboro: Series tied, 3-3
Last Meeting: UK 68, MT 44 - Dec. 9, 2012 - Lexington, Ky.
Last Meeting in Murfreesboro: MT 70, UK 58 - Dec. 28, 2011
Television: MyTV 30
Play-by-Play: Chip Walters
Color Analyst: Kyle Turnham
Sidelines: Lena Cline
Radio: WMOT (89.5 FM)/WGNS 1450 AM, 100.5 FM, 101.9 FM
Play-by-Play: Dick Palmer
Color Analyst: Duane Hickey
Live Video (C-USA Digital Network) - Live Audio - Live Stats
• Middle Tennessee (1-2) returns to Murfreesboro to face another top 10 opponent in No. 7 Kentucky (5-0). MT led by as many as 14 over No. 4 Tennessee, before falling 67-57 on Nov. 8.
• The Raiders are 2-0 against the UK inside the Murphy Center under head coach Rick Insell.
• The last time these two squads faced off in Murfreesboro, the Blue Raiders came out victorious with a 70-58 decision over the sixth-ranked Wildcats on Dec. 28, 2011.
• The Blue Raiders are coming off a tough 66-51 loss at Arkansas. Rowe once again reached a double-double with 22 points and 11 rebounds in the loss. Senior KeKe Stewart tallied 10 points and picked up four boards for the Blue Raiders.
• Rowe, a Wade Watch list candidate, leads the Blue Raiders with 20.7 points and 12.0 rebounds per game. Shanice Cason follows with 8.3 points per contest and a team-best 11 assists. Freshman Olivia Jones has averaged 7.0 points and 5.0 rebounds in three games this season.
Series with the Wildcats
• The Raiders and Kentucky meet for the 15th time overall and the seventh time inside the Murphy Center.
• The series between these two programs began on Nov. 18, 1977 with UK edging the Raiders 82-80 at the Murphy Center.
• Last season, the No. 7/6 Wildcats pulled out a 68-46 victory in Lexington. MT's Ebony Rowe led the way with 19 points and 10 rebounds.
• MT previously knocked off the sixth-ranked Wildcats on Dec. 28, 2011 with a 70-58 victory at home. Icelyn Elie had 23 points, followed by Ebony Rowe's 21.
• The Blue Raiders are 2-3 against UK under Coach Rick Insell and 2-0 inside the Murphy Center. On Dec. 28, 2009, MT won 57-51 over the Wildcats. UK has not claimed victory in Murfreesboro since Jan., 8, 1989.
MT vs. the SEC
• The Blue Raiders are 4-4 in games against SEC opponents played at Murphy Center since Rick Insell took over the program for the 2005-06 season.
• Insell has five wins against the SEC with those coming against Kentucky (2), LSU (2) and Georgia (1).
• The Blue Raiders last knocked off an SEC opponent on Dec. 28, 2011 with a 70-58 over Kentucky at the Murphy Center.
• The Blue Raider defense has held all of its opponents under 40 percent shooting this year. MT squads are just shooting 35.9 percent in three games.
• Arkansas had 39.3 percent from the field, while Miami and Tennessee were limited to 36 and 35 percent, respectively. • The Raiders are allowing opponents to knockdown just 25.6 three-point attempts (11-of-43) this season.
Cason Remains Steady
• Shanice Cason had her first career double-double versus No. 4 Tennessee before bouncing back with 10 points at Miami.
• Cason is boasting 8.3 points and 5.3 rebounds per game.
Raiders Fall to Razorbacks
• The Blue Raiders led by as many as five, but as 12-4 second half run allowed Arkansas to pick up a 66-51 victory over MT last Tuesday.
• The Raiders were led by Ebony Rowe, who registered her 55th double-double, with 22 points and 11 boards. KeKe Stewart also reached double figures with 10 points.
Stewart Finding a Rhythm
• Senior KeKe Stewart has proven her strength inside this year. The Oak Ridge native is boasting 6.0 points and 4.7 rebounds per game in 29.7 minutes played.
• The center earned a career high 32 minutes, scoring eight points and picking up six rebounds in MT's win over the Miami Hurricanes.
• Against Arkansas, Stewart scored six consecutive points to put the Raiders within two in the second half.
Rowe Writing History
• Ebony Rowe holds the school-record with 55 double-doubles.
• Rowe has reached double figures in 95 of 100 games in her career. She has registered nine straight games in double-figures. She is two games away from reaching fifth all-time currently held by Jamie Thomatis ('01).
• Rowe became the ninth Blue Raider to make her 100th career start with the game at Arkansas. She is tied for 8th in program history.
• Seventh-ranked Kentucky will put its 15-game winning streak vs. regular season non-conference opponents on the line when it plays the Blue Raiders on Sunday. The Wildcats look to chart their first win in the Murphy Center since Jan. 8, 1989. UK is coming off 116-49 rout of Lipscomb on Thursday in their last game. DeNesha Stallworth leads a very balanced scoring attack this season. She averages a team-high 15.0 ppg, while Kastine Evans follows with 12.8 ppg. Bria Goss and Janee Thompson also are averaging double figures this season with 10.8 and 10.2 ppg, respectively. Walker, who has posted back-to-back double-doubles, is the team's leading rebounder with 10.0 rpg.
• Middle Tennessee has used a several players outside of Ebony Rowe to rely on production in its first two games.
• Shanice Cason is tallying 8.3 points, while Olivia Jones follows up with 7.0 points per contest.
• Seniors KeKe Stewart and Laken Leonard are following up with 6.0 and 5.7 points, respectively.
• Ebony Rowe (1,781) ranks eighth all-time in scoring at MT. At Miami, she passed current coach Alysha Clark ('10). Rowe is now 53 points away from reaching Jennifer McFall ('85) for seventh place.
• Rowe holds three school records in double-doubles (55), offensive rebounds (523) and total rebounds (1,060).
• The forward is third all-time in defensive boards (527), 13 away from second place currently held by Patrice Holmes ('05).
• Rowe is tied for seventh in Blue Raider history with Tawanya Mucker ('89), for 89 career blocks.
• Rowe is the first women's player to score 1,000 points and grab 1,000 rebounds.
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Women's Basketball NewsMar 10, 2014: Rowe and Jones garner Conference USA specialty awards
Mar 9, 2014: Raiders' Jones and Rowe grab All-C-USA honors
Mar 7, 2014: C-USA Championship bracket set for No. 22 Raiders
Mar 5, 2014: No. 22 Raiders down Tulane for Insell's 1,000th win
Mar 4, 2014: No. 22 Raiders conclude regular season at Tulane
Mar 4, 2014: Rowe grabs C-USA Women's Basketball All-Academic honors