Raiders hit the road for Murray State Tuesday
MT set to renew long-time series against RacersNovember 25, 2013 ·
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The Middle Tennessee men's basketball team (4-1) is set to travel to Murray State (2-3) Tuesday for a 7:30 p.m. nonconference matchup.
Date: Tuesday, Nov. 26
Time: 7:30 p.m. CT
Teams: Middle Tennessee at Murray State
Location: Murray, Ky.
Arena: CSFB Center (8,600)
Television: OVC Digital Network (webstream)
Radio: WGNS (FM 100.5, FM 101.9, AM 1450) / WMOT (89.5 FM) / The Game (102.5 FM, 97.5 FM)
Play-by-Play: Chip Walters
Live Video | Live Audio | Live Stats
• Middle Tennessee hits the road for the second time this season and look to return to its winning ways, traveling to Murray State Tuesday for a 7:30 p.m. matchup. This will be the 136th meeting between the two programs. The Racers lead the all-time series 101-34.
• The Blue Raiders were handed their first loss of the season Nov. 21, dropping a 79-59 decision at No. 16/14 Florida and snapping MT's nation-leading road winning streak at eight games. Neiko Hunter led the Raiders with 14 points and five rebounds, while Jaqawn Raymond had 13 points and Eric Wortham, Jr., posted a career-high 11 points. The contest marked MT's third game against a 2013 NCAA Tournament team.
• Middle Tennessee picked up its fourth win of 2013-14 Nov. 18, collecting a 76-59 win against UALR as senior Shawn Jones recorded his second-straight double-double with 19 points and 12 rebounds, while Kerry Hammonds II recorded 20 points, Reggie Upshaw Jr., had 13 and Tweety Knight added 11.
• MT's contest against Akron Nov. 16 was the second for the team this season against a 2013 NCAA Tournament team. Jones recorded his first double-dip of the season against the Zips, tallying a career-high 24 points and grabbing 12 rebounds. Hammonds and Raymond put up 17 points each, while Knight added 11.
• MT earned its second come-from-behind victory of the season Nov. 13, claiming a 77-70 win over North Florida inside the Murphy Center as four Raiders scored in double-figures. Raymond and Marcus Tarrance led the way with 14 points each, while Jones had 12 points and Upshaw, notched the first double-double of the season for MT with 12 points and 10 rebounds.
• The Blue Raiders tipped-off regular season play, Nov. 13, picking up a 78-75 victory over 2013 NCAA Tournament participant Southern University. Neiko Hunter led MT with a career-best 20 points and six rebounds, going 6-for-11 from the floor and 3-for-4 from behind the arc. For his efforts, the senior was named Player of the Week by the Tennessee Sportswriters Association Nov. 12.
• MT had five players score in double-figures against the Jaguars Nov. 13 as Hunter had 20, followed by Hammonds with 19, Tarrance with 13, Knight with 12 and Jones with 10.
• The Blue Raiders opened the 2013-14 campaign with a four-game homestand, welcoming Southern, North Florida, Akron and UALR to the Murphy Center. MT hit the road for the first time Nov. 21, traveling to the Sunshine State to take on No. 16/14 Florida. The first five games have proved to be challenging for the Blue Raiders as they faced three NCAA Tournament teams in their first five games of the 2013-14 season in Southern, Akron and Florida.
RAIDERS VS. RACERS
This will be the 136th meeting between Middle Tennessee and Murray State. The Racers lead the all-time series 101-34 and hold a 52-11 advantage against the Blue Raiders in Murray, Ky. The MSU series is the second-longest in MT program history. Middle Tennessee has played only Tennessee Tech more times than Murray State. The MT/Tennessee Tech series consists of 141 games. Under head coach Kermit Davis, Middle Tennessee is 0-2 against Murray State. The Raiders dropped a 79-72 decision Dec. 16, 2002 inside the Murphy Center. Later that season, MT fell on the road 76-64 Jan. 1, 2003.
The Murray State series dates back to the 1929-30 season, when MT claimed a 39-29 victory at home. The Blue Raiders first road victory against the Racers came during the 1932-33 season, when MT edged MSU 23-22. The last time the two programs met, Murray State picked up a 76-64 victory Jan. 1, 2003 in Murray, Ky. MT's last win against the Racers came Feb. 24, 2000 in the form of an 82-79 decision in Murfreesboro, Tenn. The Blue Raiders' most recent victory at MSU was also during the 1999-2000 season, when MT collected an 81-79 road win Jan. 27, 2000.
The Racers hold three MT opponent records, including highest field goal percentage, shooting 67.4-percent (29-of-43) Feb. 14, 1980 in Murfreesboro, Tenn. MSU also holds the record for best three-point field goal percentage with a 75.0 mark (6-of-8) Jan. 23, 1988 in the Murphy Center. Murray State also has the MT opponent record for fewest rebounds in a game with 14 Dec. 4, 1976 in Murfreesboro.
SCOUTING THE RACERS
Murray State is 2-3 on the young 2013-14 season, including a 2-0 mark at home. In the team's last outing, the Racers dropped a 75-67 contest on the road at Auburn. Despite having three losses on the year, MSU hasn't lost consecutive games. The Racers' two wins came against Brescia Nov. 12 (97-69) and Bethel Nov. 19 (91-64). Sandwiched between the two victories was a 70-60 loss at Conference USA member Old Dominion.
The Racers are currently led by Jarvis Williams, who is averaging a double-double of 14.6 points and 11.0 rebounds per game. Dexter Fields and Cameron Payne are second on the squad with each putting up 14.0 points a contest. Jeffery Moss is the fourth Racer averaging double-digits this season, recording 13.0 points an outing.
Against Auburn Nov. 23, Williams flirted with a double-double, recording 13 points and a team-high nine rebounds. Moss and Payne posted a team-best 16 points apiece, while Payne also dished out five assists. Tyler Rambo also had a solid outing against the Tigers, putting up eight points and snagging six boards.
Williams posted his third double-double of the season against Bethel Nov. 19, tallying 25 points and grabbing 13 rebounds. Jonathan Fairell also registered a double-double with 12 points and 11 boards. Fields added 21 points in the contest, while Rambo chipped in 12.
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Basketball NewsApr 24, 2014: Davis to speak at Journeys fundraiser
Apr 20, 2014: Jones named to the PIT All-Tournament Team
Apr 17, 2014: Emerald Coast Classic announces 2014 field
Apr 16, 2014: Raiders add three to 2014-15 signing class
Apr 15, 2014: Jones invited to Portsmouth Invitational
Apr 1, 2014: Jones to participate in All-Star game at the Final Four