MT opens Gulf Coast Showcase with Southeastern LA
Blue Raiders and Lady Lions tip-off at 11 a.m. CT on FridayNovember 27, 2013 · @MTAthletics
Middle Tennessee opens the first-ever Gulf Coast Showcase this Friday, Nov. 29 against Southeastern Louisiana. Friday's action is set to begin at 11 a.m. CT/12 p.m. ET inside Germain Arena in Estero, Fla.
Matchup: Middle Tennessee vs. Southeastern Louisiana
Date: Friday, Nov. 29
Time: 11:00 a.m. CT/12:00 p.m. ET
Tournament: Gulf Coast Showcase
Location: Estero, Fla.
Arena: Germain Arena (7,802)
Overall: First Meeting
Under Rick Insell: First Meeting
• Middle Tennessee resumes its road journey with a three-day tournament at the first-ever Gulf Coast Showcase in Estero, Fla. The Raiders open the tourney against Southeastern Louisiana (1-4). Depending on Friday's outcome, MT will either play NC State (6-0) or Wright State (5-1).
• MT is coming off a tough 84-72 loss to No. 7 Kentucky at the Murphy Center. Senior forward Ebony Rowe led the Blue Raiders with 28 points and eight rebounds in the loss.
• Rowe was named to the Naismith Trophy Watch List as announced by the Atlanta Tipoff Club on Monday. The Lexington, Ky., native was announced on the Wade Watch List earlier this year. She leads the Raiders with 22.5 points and 11.0 rebounds in four games this season.
• The Blue Raiders have the second toughest schedule in the country behind Morgan State. MT's first four opponents are a combined 22-2 to open up the season.
• Shanice Cason is MT's second leading scorer with 8.3 ppg. Olivia Jones follows with 7.3 ppg.
Series with the Lions
• Middle Tennessee meets Southeastern Louisiana for the first time on Friday.
• The Blue Raiders are 2-0 all-time against Southland opponents.
• Against competition from the state of Louisiana, Middle Tennessee holds an overall 33-3 record. MT has 19 victories against Louisiana, 12 versus ULM and two against LSU.
MT in Regular Season Tournaments
• For the fourth consecutive year, Middle Tennessee is participating in a regular season tournament.
• The Raiders are 10-4 under Rick Insell in regular season tourneys. The Blue Raiders have won two tournament titles under Insell's watch - the 2010 UTSA Holiday Classic and the 2006 Subway Classic hosted by the University of Minnesota.
• MT has played in five in-season tournaments since 1976 with the latest happening in 2003 at the FAU Embassy Suites Classic. MT has never won a regular season tournament in Florida.
• Last season, MT finished 2-1 in the Preseason WNIT. The Raiders had an 87-45 victory over Kennesaw State and an 82-68 win over Memphis before falling 69-63 at Iowa in overtime.
• The Blue Raiders have never faced Southeastern Louisiana or Wright State.
• MT holds a 1-0 record against NC State. On March 19, 2005, MT defeated the Wolfpack, 60-58, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
Tough as Nails
• The Blue Raiders are credited by the NCAA as having the second-toughest schedule in DI in the early going.
• Middle Tennessee's first four opponents have a combined 16-1 record so far on the year, with the .941 winning percentage trailing only Morgan State's mark of a 1.000 winning percentage among opponents played to this point. • Out of the top 25 teams in opposing winning percentage, only Marist (22), Louisville (19) and Quinnipiac (17) have faced teams with more combined wins this season.
Naismith Watch List Tabs Rowe
• Senior forward Ebony Rowe was added to the Naismith Watch List as announced by the Atlanta Tipoff Club on Monday. Rowe was a top-30 finalist for the award last season.
Rowe Among Nation's Elite
• Senior Ebony Rowe, who was named to the Naismith Trophy Watch List on Monday, ranks 22nd nationally in both points per game (22.5) and rebounds per game (11.0).
• Rowe is one of two players in Conference USA averaging more than 20 points and 10 rebounds per game, and is the only one at a Division I university in Tennessee to hold that distinction so far in 2013-14.
After a Loss
• Middle Tennessee has often rebounded after a loss. The Blue Raiders are a resilient 40-19 under under Rick Insell after suffering a defeat.
Attendance Fourth Nationally
• MT has played its first two home games of the 2013-14 slate against top-10 teams in No. 4 Tennessee and No. 7 Kentucky. The premier opponents, combined with the traditional support of Blue Raider fans throughout years past, has led to the Raiders being ranked fourth nationally in average attendance per home game at 8,025.
Scouting Southeastern Louisiana
• Southeastern Louisiana (1-4) has lost four consecutive games after opening the season with a 78-68 win over Mobile. The Lady Lions suffered defeats from Southern, ULM, Tulane and Ole Miss. The Lady Lions are led by 12th year head coach Lori Davis Jones. Last season, SLU finished 11-18 overall and 4-14 in the Southland. SLU has four players averaging double figures with Symone Miller boasting 18.0 points per game. She is followed by Nanna Pool, who is averaging 14.2 points and 10.6 rebounds each contest. Aja Gibson (13.4) points and Elizabeth Styles (10.7) round out double-digit scorers for the Lady Lions. SLU is averaging 66.4 points per game, while shooting 38.4 percent. SLU opponents are scoring 78.8 points a game, while shooting 43.5 percent.
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Women's Basketball NewsMar 7, 2014: C-USA Championship bracket set for No. 22 Raiders
Mar 5, 2014: No. 22 Raiders down Tulane for Insell's 1,000th win
Mar 4, 2014: No. 22 Raiders conclude regular season at Tulane
Mar 4, 2014: Rowe grabs C-USA Women's Basketball All-Academic honors
Mar 3, 2014: Blue Raiders move up to No. 22 in AP Poll
Mar 1, 2014: Furious comeback over UAB gives Raiders first C-USA title