Middle Tennessee takes on Grand Canyon Monday
Raiders close out Dr Pepper Classic against AntelopesDecember 30, 2013 · @MTAthletics
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - The Middle Tennessee men's basketball team (8-5) wraps up play at the Dr Pepper Classic hosted by Chattanooga, taking on Grand Canyon (5-7) in the consolation game at 3:30 p.m. CT Monday.
Date: Monday, Dec. 30
Tip-Off: 3:30 p.m. CT
Teams: Middle Tennessee vs. Grand Canyon
Location: Chattanooga, Tenn.
Arena: The McKenzie Arena (11,660)
Television: GoMocs.com (PPV)
Radio: WGNS (100.5 FM, 101.9 FM, 1450 AM) / The Game 2 (94.9 FM)
Play-by-Play: Duane Hickey
Color Analyst: Kyle Turnham
Live Video | Live Audio | Live Stats
This will be the first meeting between Middle Tennessee and Grand Canyon. The Antelopes are 0-6 on the road this season and 2-1 in neutral site games. The Blue Raiders are 1-3 on the road this season and 0-1 in neutral site contests.
SCOUTING THE ANTELOPES
Grand Canyon is 5-7 on the season and is currently on a four-game skid. The Antelopes enjoyed a four-game winning streak earlier in the season, before dropping a 63-61 decision at Northern Arizona, marking the start of their four-game drought.
The Antelopes opened the Dr Pepper Classic, falling to tournament host Chattanooga 69-64 Dec. 29. In the contest, Killian Larson led GCU, posting a double-double with a game-high 22 points and 13 rebounds. Jerome Garrison helped in the offensive effort, recording 13 points, while Daniel Alexander chipped in a double-double of 12 points and 10 boards.
On the season, Demetrius Walker leads Grand Canyon, averaging 16.9 points per game, while Larson is averaging a double-double of 15.3 points and 11.5 boards a contest. Alexander and Garrison round out the double-figure averages for the Antelopes, putting up 14.8 and 12.0 points an outing, respectively.
BLUE RAIDER BULLETS
• In its first neutral site contest this season, Middle Tennessee opened the Dr Pepper Classic hosted by Chattanooga with an 89-85 overtime loss. The contest marked MT's first overtime game this season.
• Against the Black Bears senior Shawn Jones recorded his fifth double-double, putting up 16 points and grabbing a career-high 20 rebounds. The 20 boards marked a first for a Blue Raider since Napoleon Rhodes snagged 20 at UNC Greensboro Nov. 30, 2002.
• Senior Neiko Hunter tied his career-best 20 points, which he set in the season-opener against Southern Nov. 10. Redshirt sophomore Jaqawn Raymond also tallied a career-high against Maine, putting up 18 points.
• MT fell to 1-3 on the road this season with a 69-48 loss at Cincinnati Dec. 21. Senior Kerry Hammonds II led the Raiders against the Bearcats with 17 points, going 5-for-8 from three-point range and marking the first time a Blue Raider as made five threes since Raymond Cintron netted six against Troy Feb. 9, 2013. Senior point guard Tweety Knight paced the Raiders on the boards at Cincinnati, pulling down a career-high 10 boards.
• The contests against Maine and Cincinnati marked the first back-to-back losses for the Blue Raiders this season. The last time MT lost two-straight games was the end of the 2012-13 season, dropping a 61-57 decision against FIU in the Sun Belt Tournament March 10 and a 67-54 loss against Saint Mary's in the First Four round of the NCAA Tournament March 19.
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Men's Basketball NewsMar 10, 2014: Jones named C-USA First Team
Mar 7, 2014: Jones snags final C-USA Player of the Week honor
Mar 6, 2014: MT wins share of regular season C-USA title with win at UAB
Mar 5, 2014: MT seeks regular season title at UAB Thursday
Mar 1, 2014: Raiders down Owls on Blue Pride Saturday, 65-41
Feb 28, 2014: MT hosts Rice for Senior Day and Blue Pride Saturday