MT hosts UTEP Thursday in C-USA action
Raiders put winning-streaks on the line against MinersJanuary 15, 2014 · @MTAthletics
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The Middle Tennessee men's basketball team (11-5, 1-0 C-USA) continues Conference USA play Thursday, hosting UTEP (11-6, 1-1 C-USA) for a 7 p.m. contest airing on MyTV 30.
Date: Thursday, Jan. 16
Tip-Off: 7 p.m. CT
Teams: Middle Tennessee vs. UTEP
Location: Murfreesboro, Tenn.
Arena: Murphy Center (11,520)
Television: MyTV 30
Play-by-Play: Chip Walters
Color Analyst: Kyle Turnham
Radio: WGNS (100.5 FM, 101.9 FM, 1450 AM) / WMOT (89.5 FM) / WQZQ (102.1 FM)
Play-by-Play: Chip Walters
Color Analyst: Kyle Turnham
Live Video | Live Audio | Live Stats
This will be the first meeting between Middle Tennessee and UTEP.
SCOUTING THE MINERS
UTEP is 11-6 on the year and 1-1 in Conference USA play. The Miners are 1-1 on the road this season and 1-2 in neutral site contests. The contest at MT will mark their first C-USA road trip of the 2013-14 campaign. UTEP opened league play Jan. 9, snapping a season-long five-game win-streak with a 73-68 loss to Charlotte. The Miners rebounded two days later with a 66-56 victory against Marshall to improve to 1-1 in C-USA competition.
In the loss to Charlotte, John Bohannon led the Miners with a season-high 23 points to go along with a team-best eight rebounds and six assists. He shot 7-for-9 from the floor and went 9-for-12 from line. Julian Washburn was second on the team, putting up 19 points against the 49ers.
Against Marshall, Bohannon notched his sixth double-double of the season, tallying 18 points and snagging 14 boards. He also dished out a game-high seven assists. Vince Hunter led the team offensively, posting a career- high 20 points, while pulling down nine rebounds. Washburn and Cedrick Lang rounded out the double-figure performances for the Miners, recording 17 points and collecting 10 rebounds, respectively. UTEP beat the Herd on the boards 43-34, claiming the contest of second chances 18-4. The Miners also outscored Marshall in the paint 26-18.
On the season, Washburn paces the Miners, averaging 12.0 points per game, while Bohannon is a close second on the team, putting up 11.3 points an outing. Bohannon leads UTEP on the boards, pulling down 8.5 rebounds per game. Hunter closes out the Miners averaging double-digits with 10.5 points a contest to go along with 6.6 boards an outing.
BLUE RAIDER BULLETS
• With an 89-84 overtime victory against UAB Jan. 11, the Blue Raiders become the fifth MT program to win its opening Conference USA game/match, joining the soccer, volleyball, football and women's basketball teams.
• The Blue Raiders have won 25-straight home conference games and put that streak on the line against UTEP Thursday. MT's last home conference loss came Jan. 13, 2011 against Florida Atlantic via a 71-61 decision. The Raiders also have strung together 17-straight conference victories, dating back to a 66-60 overtime loss at Arkansas State Jan. 3, 2013.
• Shawn Jones led MT with 22 points against UAB, marking his third 20-point contest this season. Three other Blue Raiders tallied double-figures, marking the 12th time this season four or more players have scored double-digits. Against the Blazers, Kerry Hammonds II had 17 points, while Reggie Upshaw, Jr. and Neiko Hunter posted 15 and 12 points, respectively.
• Four Blue Raiders are currently enjoying double-figure scoring streaks as Hunter, Jones and Upshaw have all reached the mark for four-straight games, while Hammonds has posted double-digits in each of the last five games.
• The game at Tennessee State Jan. 7 tipped off a stretch of nine TV games over the next 14 contests for the Blue Raiders.
• MT opened the New Year with a 74-66 win at TSU, moving to 3-1 against instate foes this season with its lone loss coming against Belmont Dec. 3. The Blue Raiders are an even 6-6 in opening games in the month of January under head coach Kermit Davis.
• Jones collected his sixth double-double of the season at TSU, ranking fourth in C-USA and 29th in the NCAA statistical rankings. The senior also ranks 18th in country and second in C-USA in field goal percentage, shooting 60.0-percent.
• The Raiders are 10-2 this season when playing in the state of Tennessee with an 8-1 record at home and a 1-1 mark in neutral site games.
• MT snapped a two game skid with a 79-56 win over Grand Canyon in the consolation game of Chattanooga's Dr Pepper Classic Dec. 30.
• Against Maine Dec. 29, Jones recorded a double-double of 16 points and a career-high 20 rebounds. The 20 boards marked a first for a Blue Raider since Napoleon Rhodes snagged 20 at UNC Greensboro Nov. 30, 2002. Jones was named TSWA Player of the Week for his efforts Jan. 1.
• Hunter tied his career-best 20 points against the Black Bears, which he set in the season-opener against Southern Nov. 10. Jaqawn Raymond also tallied a career-high, putting up 18 points.
• MT dropped 69-48 loss at Cincinnati Dec. 21 as senior Kerry Hammonds II led the Raiders with 17 points, going 5-for-8 from three-point range and marking the first time a Blue Raider as made five threes since Raymond Cintron netted six against Troy Feb. 9, 2013. Senior point guard Tweety Knight paced the Raiders on the boards at Cincinnati, pulling down a career-high 10 boards.
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Basketball NewsMar 7, 2014: Jones snags final C-USA Player of the Week honor
Mar 6, 2014: MT wins share of regular season C-USA title with win at UAB
Mar 5, 2014: MT seeks regular season title at UAB Thursday
Mar 1, 2014: Raiders down Owls on Blue Pride Saturday, 65-41
Feb 28, 2014: MT hosts Rice for Senior Day and Blue Pride Saturday
Feb 27, 2014: MT's win-streak snapped at LA Tech, 55-39