Road action continues for Blue Raiders at UAB
Middle Tennessee looks for 14th straight victoryJanuary 17, 2014 · @MTAthletics
Middle Tennessee (14-3, 3-0 C-USA) continues league action with a road contest at UAB (10-6, 2-1 C-USA). The Blazers and Blue Raiders are scheduled for a 4 p.m. tip on Saturday.
Matchup: Middle Tennessee at UAB
Date: Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014
Time: 4 p.m.
Location: Birmingham, Ala.
Arena: Bartow Arena (8,500)
Overall: UAB leads series, 4-2
In Birmingham: UAB leads series, 2-1
Last Meeting: UAB 71, MT 69 - Dec. 19, 2005 - Birmingham, Ala.
Under Rick Insell: 0-1 vs. UAB
• Middle Tennessee (14-3, 3-0 C-USA) picked up its 13th straight win with a 69-58 decision over UTEP on Wednesday. The Blue Raiders were led by the tandem of Ebony Rowe (23p/10r) and Olivia Jones (17p/11r), who both etched double-doubles. Laken Leonard (11) and Caroline Warden (10) also had double-figures.
• MT is meeting UAB for the first time as conference foes. The Blazers own a 4-2 record all-time with the last meeting coming on Dec. 19, 2005. UAB won that matchup 71-69 in Birmingham.
• Rowe is tied with Maryland's Alyssa Thomas and St. Mary's Danielle Maudin for the nation's lead with 14 double-doubles this season.
• Rowe (2,099) is 50 points away from becoming Middle Tennessee's all-time scoring leader, surpassing Kim Webb's total of 2,148 points.
• Rowe's 22.4 ppg ranks 15th nationally, while her 11.5 rpg is 11th in the NCAA.
• The Blue Raiders' 13-game win streak is tied for fourth nationally with Maryland.
• The Blue Raiders' scoring defense of 55.3 points per game ranks 12th nationally, while the opponent shooting percentage of 36.2 percent is 46th in the NCAA.
What Happened vs. UTEP
• Middle Tennessee overcame a slow shooting night, forcing 25 UTEP turnovers to win 69-58 over UTEP. Ebony Rowe (23/10) and Olivia Jones (17/11) each had double-doubles, becoming the first MT duo since Rowe and Icelyn Elie achieved that feat on Feb. 20, 2013 vs. South Alabama. Also, Laken Leonard posted 11 and Caroline Warden had 10 in the win.
Series with the Blazers
• Middle Tennessee and UAB meet for the seventh time on Saturday. The Blazers own a 4-2 all-time mark and have won three consecutive games in the series.
• The two squads last met on Dec. 19, 2005 in Rick Insell's first year when UAB upended MT 71-69.
• MT's last victory came on Nov. 19, 1998 when the Raiders won 73-63 in Birmingham.
• UAB (10-6, 2-1 C-USA) has won four out of its last six games and comes into Saturday's contest with a two-game win streak. The Blazers picked up league road wins at Marshall and Tulsa. Their only C-USA loss came to the hands of UTEP on Jan. 8. The Blazers are averaging 67.6 points per game and are third in the league with a scoring defense of 61.1 ppg allowed. Three Blazers are in double figures with Karisma Chapman leading the way with 18.9 ppg and 8.0 rpg. Ashley Grimes and Chelsee Black are posting 15.7 and 14.8 points, respectively. Randy Norton is in his first season with UAB after spending three years as an assistant and associate head coach at Missouri.
•Middle Tennessee's 13-game win streak ranks sixth all-time in program history. Rick Insell's squad has produced win streaks of 10 or more in six of his nine seasons as coach. The Raiders' longest win streak was set in 2006-07 when the Blue Raiders posted 27 victories.
• MT has not trailed by more than eight points at any time during the streak.
Record Breaking Rowe
• Ebony Rowe ranks in the top-5 in 14 different career categories at Middle Tennessee. She is the record holder in double-doubles (67), rebounds (1,210) offensive boards (583), defensive rebounds (627), attempted free throws (762) and minutes played (4,191).
• Rowe is second in made field goals (814) and third in free throws made (444).
• She passed Kim Webb (108) for first with 110 double figure scoring games.
• Rowe has reached 2,099 points in her career ranking second all-time. She is 49 points shy from reaching the school record held by Webb (2,148).
• She ranks sixth nationally with 114 active career starts.
• Rowe joins Stanford's Chiney Ogwumike as the only two active NCAA players with 2,000 points and 1,000 career rebounds.
• Middle Tennessee is 41-7 overall when Rowe scores 20 or more points.
• The senior has 23 consecutive double figure scoring games.
Raiders' RPI Rating
• Middle Tennessee has an RPI rating of 28 in the latest RealTime RPI report. Other top-100 C-USA teams include UTEP (73) and East Carolina (78).
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Women's Basketball NewsJul 11, 2014: Shalon Pillow joins Blue Raider coaching staff
Jun 30, 2014: Rowe Named C-USA's Female Athlete of the Year
Jun 30, 2014: Assistant Coach Mariska Harris resigns from post
Jun 27, 2014: Brinkley named recipient of NCAA Career in Sports Scholarship
Jun 17, 2014: Leonard earns Jim Castañeda Postgraduate Scholarship
Jun 12, 2014: Reuter earns MVP honors at Tennessee-Georgia All-Star game