Rowe looks to break 27-year old scoring record Saturday
Middle Tennessee meets Old Dominion for first time since 2007January 24, 2014 · @MTAthletics
Middle Tennessee (16-3, 5-0 C-USA) senior forward Ebony Rowe is eight points away from breaking a 27-year old scoring record when the Blue Raiders host Old Dominion (9-10, 2-3 C-USA) on Saturday. The afternoon contest is set to tip at 4 p.m. and will air locally on CW 58.
Matchup: Old Dominion at Middle Tennessee
Date: Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014
Time: 4:00 p.m.
Location: Murfreesboro, Tenn.
Arena: Murphy Center (11,520)
Tickets: Click here or call 1-888-YES-MTSU
Promotion: National Girls in Sports Day
Overall: Series tied at 1-1
Under Rick Insell: 1-1 vs. ODU
In Murfreesboro: MT leads, 1-0
Last Meeting: ODU 76, MT 68 - Nov. 10, 2007 - Norfolk, Va.
Last Meeting in Murfreesboro: MT 86, ODU 71 - Dec. 19, 2006
Television: CW 58
Play-by-Play: Jonathan Hutton
Color Analyst: Kyle Turnham
Sidelines: Lena Cline
Radio: WMOT (89.5 FM)
Play-by-Play: Dick Palmer
Color Analyst: Duane Hickey
Live Video (C-USA Digital Network) - Live Audio - Live Stats
• Middle Tennessee (16-3, 5-0 Conference USA) carries the nation's fourth longest winning streak of 15 games into Saturday's game with Old Dominion (9-10, 2-3 C-USA). The Blue Raiders are coming off a 60-41 win over UTSA on Wednesday.
• Ebony Rowe scored 26 points and pulled in 16 rebounds in the victory over the Roadrunners.
• Rowe, who has 2,141 career points, is just eight away from breaking Kim Webb's all-time scoring mark of 2,148. Webb's record has stood since 1987.
• Her average of 22.2 points and 11.7 rebounds per game both rank in the NCAA's top-20.
• Rowe is tied with Maryland's Alyssa Thomas for the nations' lead with 16 double-doubles.
• Middle Tennessee's scoring defense of 54.5 points per game ranks fifth nationally. The Blue Raiders scoring margin of +13.5 is currently 29th in the nation.
• MT and Old Dominion meet for the third time in program history and the first since 2007. The series is tied at 1-1.
On the Brink of History
• Senior forward Ebony Rowe (2,141) is just seven points away from becoming the school's all-time leading scorer. She will break a 27-year old record set by Kim Webb (2,148) in 1987.
•Rowe is the first Raider to reach 2,000 points since Priscilla Robinson did so in 1994.
• When Rowe breaks the all-time scoring mark, it will be her ninth school record that she holds.
What Happened vs. UTSA
• Middle Tennessee used a scathing defense in a 60-41 win over UTSA on Wednesday. Ebony Rowe led the Raiders with game-highs of 26 points and 16 rebounds. Olivia Jones and Laken Leonard chipped in with nine points each in the victory. Rowe is now eight points away from breaking the school's all-time scoring mark held by Kim Webb.
• The 54.5 points allowed per game by the Blue Raiders through the team's first 19 games are the fewest in Conference USA and ranks fifth nationally.
• MT is second in C-USA and 43rd in the NCAA in field goal defense at 36.1 percent.
• MT is third in C-USA and 49th nationally with a 3-point defense of 28.6.
• Opponent miscues have been mantra for the Blue Raiders during the streak, as MT has forced 20.9 opponent turnovers, giving up just 15.3 for a +5.5 turnover margin.
• Middle Tennessee's 15-game win streak is tied for fifth all-time in program history.
• The win streak is currently fourth nationally behind UConn (26), Norte Dame (18) and Stanford (3).
Raiders' RPI Rating
• Middle Tennessee has an RPI rating of 25 in the latest RealTime RPI report. Other top-100 C-USA teams include UTEP (69), ECU (77) and Tulane (90).
• C-USA's RPI is 10th out 32 leagues.
In the Rankings
• Middle Tennessee's Ebony Rowe ranks 17th nationally with 22.2 points per game and 10th with 11.7 rebounds per game.
• Rowe's 16 double-doubles is currently tied for first nationally with Maryland's Alyssa Thomas.
• Rowe leads the league with 4.47 offensive rebounds per game. She is second in scoring, rebounding and minutes played.
• Olivia Jones' 2.74 steals per game is third in C-USA and 24th in the NCAA.
Raiders have Depth
• Middle Tennessee has one of its most balanced teams to date in the Rick Insell era. The Raiders have six players averaging 3.9 or more points per game.
• Beyond Ebony Rowe's 22.2 points per contest, Olivia Jones is boasting 9.3 ppg. Senior KeKe Stewart is near double figures with 9.1 ppg, while Shanice Cason follows with 8.2. Laken Leonard (6.8 ppg) and China Dow (3.9) are also significant contributing factors.
Play 4Kay Game Set for Feb. 8
• Middle Tennessee will host its annual Play 4Kay game on Feb. 8. The Raiders host Rice in a 2 p.m. Conference USA matchup. Fans are encouraged to wear pink. Jerseys will be auctioned off, as well as women cancer survivors recognized before the game.
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Women's Basketball NewsApr 16, 2014: Insell announces return of Tom Hodges as assistant coach
Apr 10, 2014: Rowe named TSHF Female Amateur Athlete of the Year
Apr 9, 2014: Laken Leonard earns C-USA Spirit of Service Award
Apr 5, 2014: Rowe named WBCA All-America Honorable Mention
Apr 3, 2014: Raiders featured in Women's Final Four festivities
Apr 2, 2014: Rowe tabbed AP All-America Honorable Mention