MT Men's Tennis falls to Vanderbilt
No. 56 Raiders downed by No. 20 CommodoresFebruary 9, 2014 · @MTAthletics
NASHVILLE - Sophomore Victor Cornea defeated a nationally-ranked opponent at No. 3 singles, while junior Ettore Zito took the ninth-ranked player in the country to a third-set tiebreak, but the No. 56 Middle Tennessee men's tennis team came up short in a 6-1 loss to No. 20 Vanderbilt in the state capital on Sunday. In the defeat, MT falls to 1-4 in dual meets, while the Commodores improve to 5-1.
Cornea knocked off No. 57 Rhys Johnson at No. 3 singles for MT's lone victory of the day. Johnson would take the first set before Cornea stormed back to win the match (5-6 [2-7], 6-5 [7-2], 6-1).
Zito took on No. 9 Gonzales Austin at No. 1 singles, and jumped ahead early with a 6-2 first-set victory. Austin would even the match with a 6-0 victory in the second set, before outlasting Zito in the third, 6-5 (7-3).
Junior Victor Hoang (No. 4) and Aaron Jumonville (No. 5) each claimed the first set of their respective matches before falling in three sets, while No. 98 David Fox (No. 2) and Yannick Born (No. 6) were both defeated in straight sets.
The Commodores captured the doubles point with wins in all three matches, including a showdown at No. 1 of the Blue Raiders' 22nd-ranked tandem of Cornea and Fox against the second-ranked Vanderbilt duo of Austin and Ryan Lipman.
The Blue Raiders are back in action Friday when they travel to Richmond, Va., to square off with No. 33 VCU.
Tennis Match Results
Middle Tennessee vs. Vanderbilt
2/9/2014 at Nashville, Tenn.
(Currey Tennis Center)
#20 Vanderbilt 6, #56 Middle Tennessee 1
1. #9 Gonzales Austin (VU) def. Ettore Zito (MT) 2-6, 6-0, 6-5 (7-3)
2. Ryan Lipman (VU) def. #98 David Fox (MT) 6-2, 6-2
3. Victor Cornea (MT) def. #57 Rhys Johnson (VU) 5-6 (2-7), 6-5 (7-2), 6-1
4. Anton Kovrigin (VU) def. Victor Hoang (MT) 5-6 (5-7), 6-3, 6-1
5. Kris Yee (VU) def. Aaron Jumonville (MT) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
6. Jeffrey Offerdahl (VU) def. Yannick Born (MT) 6-0, 6-2
1. #2 Gonzales Austin/Ryan Lipman (VU) def. #22 David Fox/Victor Cornea (MT) 6-4
2. Rhys Johnson/Ryan Smith (VU) def. Yannick Born/Aaron Jumonville (MT) 6-5 (8-6)
3. Jeffrey Offerdahl/Anton Kovrigin (VU) def. Victor Hoang/Sam Matheson (MT) 6-1
Middle Tennessee 1-4; National ranking #56
Vanderbilt 5-1; National ranking #20
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,5,1,4,3,6)\
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Men's Tennis NewsMar 9, 2014: Raiders drop Murray State, fall to Memphis
Mar 9, 2014: Raiders host Memphis & Murray State
Mar 7, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downs Jackson State, 7-0
Mar 2, 2014: MT Men's Tennis downed by No. 20 Columbia
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis falls to Cornell, 4-3
Feb 28, 2014: Men's Tennis travels to New York for two matches