Blue Raiders drop 5-2 match to Chattanooga
William remains unbeaten in singles playFebruary 22, 2014 · @MTAthletics
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Middle Tennessee women's tennis dropped a 5-2 decision to Chattanooga at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon.
The Blue Raiders (4-2) dropped the doubles points and narrowly lost a pair of three-set singles points to snap a three-match winning streak.
In doubles action, the Chattanooga (6-2) No. 3 tandem of Kelsey Coots and Claire Mulyadi swept MT's Flavia Nagyama and Sarah Sediri, 8-0. The Mocs claimed the doubles point when Kaylene Chadwell/Alex Flynn picked up an 8-4 victory over Tiffany William/Jesse Grace, 8-4. The No. 2 doubles between UTC's Kayla Jones and Katie Polk and MT's Nayara Moraes and Irina Constantinide did not finish due to the Mocs sweeping the first two sets.
In singles action, Alison Storie knocked off Alexandra Torres, 6-1, 6-1 at the six position. MT bounced back when Nayara Moraes collected a 6-2, 6-4 win over Flynn. Coots helped UTC collect its third point with a 6-4, 6-2 decision over Nagayama. Mulyadi clinched the match for the Mocs with a 4-6, 6-0, 6-4 win over Constantinide.
The junior William used a 7-5, 2-6, 6-2 victory over Jones at the No. 1 position to improve to 6-0 in singles action this season. Meanwhile, Grace fell 2-6, 6-3, 6-3 to Chadwell at the second court to close out the match.
Middle Tennessee returns to action against Tennessee State on Friday, Feb. 28 at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Center at 2 p.m.
Chattanooga 5, Middle Tennessee 2
1. Tiffany William (MT) def. Kayla Jones (UTC) 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
2. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. Jesse Grace (MT) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Nayara Moraes (MT) def. Alexa Flynn (UTC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Kelsey Coots (UTC) def. Flavia Nagayama (MT) 6-4, 6-2
5. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Irina Constantinide (MT) 4-6, 6-0, 6-4
6. Alison Storie (UTC) def. Alexandra Torres (MT) 6-1, 6-1
1. Kaylene Chadwell/Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Tiffany William/Jesse Grace (MT) 8-4
2. Kayla Jones/Katie Polk (UTC) def. Nayara Moraes/Irina Constantinide (MT) 5-4
3. Kelsey Coots/Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Flavia Nagayama/Sarah Sediri (MT) 8-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,3,4,5,1,2)
Official: Ted Mason T-4:50 A-30
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Women's Tennis NewsMar 6, 2014: Raiders welcome Jackson State on Friday
Mar 1, 2014: Blue Raiders fall to Louisiana Tech, 5-2
Feb 28, 2014: Women's Tennis shuts down TSU, 7-0
Feb 27, 2014: MT Tennis plays TSU and LA Tech this weekend
Feb 22, 2014: Blue Raiders drop 5-2 match to Chattanooga
Feb 21, 2014: Women's Tennis hosts Chattanooga on Saturday