Men's Tennis falls to Cornell, 4-3
Zito, Hoang and Matheson take singles victoriesFebruary 28, 2014 · @MTAthletics
ITHACA, N.Y. - Three Blue Raiders took straight-set singles victories, but the Middle Tennessee men's tennis team came up just short in losing to Cornell, 4-3, on Friday in Ithaca, N.Y.
Junior Ettore Zito won at No. 1 singles (6-4, 6-3) over the Big Red's Sam Fleck. The Raiders also received singles points from junior Victor Hoang at No. 4 (6-2, 6-4) and freshman Sam Matheson at No. 6 (6-2, 6-4.)
The Raiders also received a doubles victory from junior Yannick Born and freshman Aaron Jumonville at No. 2, 8-6, but Cornell took the other two matches for the doubles point along with victories at No. 2, No. 3 and No. 5 singles for the 4-3 decision.
It will be a quick turnaround for MT, who travels down to New York City to face Columbia on Sunday in the Morningside Heights neighborhood of Manhattan.
Tennis Match Results
Middle Tennessee vs Cornell
2/28/2014 at Ithaca, N.Y.
Cornell 4, Middle Tennessee 3
1. Ettore Zito (MT) def. Sam Fleck (COR) 6-4, 6-3
2. Stefan Vinti (COR) def. David Fox (MT) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
3. Bernardo Casares (COR) def. Victor Cornea (MT) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
4. Victor Hoang (MT) def. Alex Sidney (COR) 6-2, 6-4
5. Chris Vrabel (COR) def. Aaron Jumonville (MT) 6-1, 6-4
6. Sam Matheson (MT) def. Colin Sinclair (COR) 6-2, 6-4
1. Sam Fleck/Chris Vrabel (COR) def. Victor Cornea/David Fox (MT) 8-5
2. Yannick Born/Aaron Jumonville (MT) def. Jason Luu/Colin Sinclair (COR) 8-6
3. Bernardo Casares/Alex Sidney (COR) def. Victor Hoang/Ettore Zito (MT) 8-1
Middle Tennessee 2-7
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsJul 11, 2014: MT Men's Tennis recognized by ITA for academics
Jul 8, 2014: Raiders add three to Men's Tennis squad
Jun 12, 2014: Men's Tennis' recruiting class ranked 24th among mid-majors
Jun 6, 2014: MT's Zito tabbed 95th in final ITA rankings
Jun 2, 2014: Borendame partners with Buddy Up Tennis
May 5, 2014: Borendame & SAAC host dodgeball tournament