Three claim first at the War Eagle Invitational
Ten top-five finishes at AuburnApril 19, 2014 · @MTAthletics
AUBURN, Ala. - India Hammond, Emmanuel Tugumisirize and Eliud Rutto each claimed individual titles on the last day of the War Eagle Invitational at the Hutsell-Rosen Track Saturday.
"We did good in all the events that went towards the south and with the wind," said head coach Dean Hayes. "The wind and weather has been tough and it has been this way all day. There is nothing we can do but go out and compete."
Middle Tennessee finished the day with six male athletes placing in the top five, while the women's squad added five top-five finishes.
"India (Hammond) did well in the long jump and won the triple jump, while Kameron (Rory) got a good jump in the long jump," Hayes said. "Junior (Cadet) did will in the hurdles, getting his personal-best. We had some good performances in the 200-meter with Emmanuel Tugumisirize and Tahir Walsh, and (Eliud) Rutto won the 800-meter and Tugumisrize in the 400-meter"
Tugumisirize had two of the six top five finishes, winning the 400-meter (46.19 seconds) and placing third in the 200-meter (21.04). Walsh added an eighth-place finish in the 200 (21.34), running the event for the first time in the 2014 outdoor season. Rutto won the 800-meter for the second time in the 2014 outdoor slate with a time of 1:49. 12.
Junior Cadet finished eighth (14.47) in the 110-meter hurdle preliminaries before placing second (14.11) with a career-best time. Shadrack Matelong netted a season-best third-place finish (14:52.90) in the 5,000-meter, while Kameron Rory also set a season-best, jumping 7.30-meters in the long jump for third place.
Hammond highlighted the day for the women's team, taking first in the triple jump (12.77m) and adding a career-best 6.15-meter leap in the long jump for third. Pershawna Williams cleared 1.65-meters in the high jump for a third-place finish.
Tressanique Hampton produced her best place of the season in the 800 , finishing second (2:12.12), while Rhema Cheriuyot also added a season-best fourth-place finish in the 5,000 (17:28.40).
Middle Tennessee continues competition at two different meets with a few members of the Blue Raider squads traveling to the Penn Relays April 24-26 and the remainder of the team competing at the Coach O Invitational in Troy, Ala. April 26.
14. Jessica Howell - 22.91m
Women's Long Jump:
3. India Hammond - 6.15m (2.3)
16. Atarah Abdullah-Muhammad - 5.43m (4.3)
Men's Long Jump:
3. Kameron Rory - 7.30m (NWI)
Women's Triple Jump:
1. India Hammond - 12.77m (4.3)
Women's 4x100-meter relay:
7. Wilson, Daphness, Gray, Hammond - 46.65
Women's shot put:
25. Jessica Howell - 11.09m
Women's 100-meter hurdles:
29. Jessica Howell - 15.26 (3.7)
Men's 110-meter hurdles:
8. Junior Cadet - 14.47 (2.9)
Women's 100-meter (Preliminaries):
12. Sheniece Daphness - 11.91 (4.3)
33. Ashley Henry - 12.58 (2.2)
Men's 100-meter (Preliminaries):
13. Tahir Walsh - 10.64 (2.7)
8. Autumn Gipson - 4:50.87
15. Julia Kitevski - 4:59.67
19. Gladys David - 5:09.55
Women's high jump:
5. Pershawna Williams - 1.65m
7. Barbara Vilson - 1.60m
Men's 110-meter hurdles (Finals):
2. Junior Cadet - 14.11 (3.2)
23. Crystal Gray - 58.49
26. Chelsea Caldwell -58.79
27. Bless Dupeh - 59.45
35. Shaina Johnson - 1:02.06
1. Emmanuel Tugumisirize - 46.19
7. Andre Hamilton - 48.56
11. Demitrius Shelton - 49.31
19. James Messick - 49.92
21. Geoffrey Akena - 50.03
2. Tressanique Hampton - 2:12.12
10. Rachel Islam - 2:16.17
1. Eliud Rutto - 1:49.12
26. Jamarious Jones - 1:59. 44
30. Demarcus Scales - 2:00.56
20. Sheniece Daphness - 24.60 (2.9)
34. Taylor Day - 25.21 (1.8)
40. Shaina Johnson - 25.54 (2.9)
42. Crystal Gray - 25.63 (2.9)
48. Ashley Henry - 25.84 (2.2)
3. Emmanuel Tugumisirize - 21.04 (1.1)
8. Tahir Walsh - 21.34 (3.0)
10. Demitrius Shelton - 21.46 (1.1)
28. James Messick - 22.43 (4.2)
29. Geoffrey Akena - 22.54 (1.8)
3. Shadrack Matelong - 14:52.90
7. Alden Dixon - 15:30.55
11. Silas Taiget - 15:47.55
Men's 4x400-meter relay:
9. Bowman, Jones, Scales, Cadet - 3:23.39
Women's 5,000-meter invitational:
4. Rhema Cheruiyot - 17:28.40
Men's 1,500-meter invitational:
9. Hillary Rono - 4:06.73
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Track & Cross Country NewsJun 26, 2014: Gipson selected to Capital One Academic All-America third team
Jun 14, 2014: Golden places third in the triple jump
Jun 13, 2014: Rutto places fifth in 800-meter
Jun 11, 2014: Rutto advances to NCAA 800-meter finals
Jun 10, 2014: Trio heads to Oregon for NCAA Championships
May 31, 2014: Blue Raiders close out NCAA Preliminary