MT T&F capture first in four events
20 top-five finishesApril 26, 2014 · @MTAthletics
Troy, Ala. - The Middle Tennessee track & field teams captured four first-place finishes to highlight the final day of the Coach O Invitational.
The women's squad led the Blue Raiders in Troy, placing 15 athletes or teams in the top five. Jackline Kiprono and Gladys David raced to a first and second place finish in the 5,000-meter with Kiprono winning the event with a time of 18:25.56.
In the high jump, Barbara Vilson and Pershawna Williams also finished first and second. Vilson won the event by clearing 1.74-meters, eclipsing her previous-best distance of 1.70-meters, which she set at the Tiger Track Classic April 6.
Five male runners added top-five finishes to the Middle Tennessee's totals, including a first-place finish by Hillary Rono in the 1,500-meter (3:53.44) and another first in the 5,000 by Silas Taiget (15:56.47).
Demarcus Scales led three Blue Raiders in the 800-meter and finished third (1:56.91), while Asa Bowman placed fifth (1:57.40) and Geoffrey Akena seventh (1:57.61).
Middle Tennessee continues competition at the Billy Hayes Invitational May 2-3 in Bloomington, Ind.
2. Sheniece Daphness - 12.01 (-1.4)
12. Ashley Henry - 12.47 (3.0)
3. Sheniece Daphness - 24.32 (1.7)
8. Bless Dupeh - 25.67 (1.0)
3. Shaina Johnson - 56.09
4. Barbara Vilson - 56.17
5. Taylor Day - 56.73
6. Crystal Gray - 57.07
10. Bless Dupeh - 58.52
11. Chelsea Caldwell - 59.70
3. Rachel Islam - 2:19.24
5. Autumn Gipson - 2:19.68
4. Rhema Cheruiyot - 4:40.99
1. Jackline Kiprono - 18:25.56
2. Gladys David - 19:01.25
Women's 100-meter hurdles:
6. Jessica Howell - 15.40 (-0.9)
Women's 4x400-meter relay:
2. Johnson, Day, Vilson, Gray - 3:44.14
5. Dupeh, Henry, Daphness, Caldwell - 3:58. 06
Women's high jump:
1. Barbara Vilson - 1.74-meters
2. Pershawna Williams - 1.69-meters
6. Jessica Howell - 1.43-meters
Women's triple jump:
2. Pershawna Williams - 11.86-meters (0.0)
6. Atarah Abdullah-Muhammad - 11.22-meters (-1.2)
Women's shot put:
9. Jessica Howell - 9.38-meters
10. Jessica Howell - 26.04-meters
7. Junior Cadet - 10.86 (0.1)
5. Junior Cadet - 22.00 (-1.0)
8. James Messick - 50.36
3. Demarcus Scales - 1:56.91
5. Asa Bowman - 1:57.40
7. Geoffrey Akena - 1:57.61
1. Hillary Rono - 3:53.44
1. Silas Taiget - 15:56.47
Friend of the Blue Raiders? Like us on Facebook and become part of the True Blue army today.
More Track & Cross Country NewsJul 23, 2014: Tugumisirize to represent Uganda at Commonwealth Games
Jun 26, 2014: Gipson selected to Capital One Academic All-America third team
Jun 14, 2014: Golden places third in the triple jump
Jun 13, 2014: Rutto places fifth in 800-meter
Jun 11, 2014: Rutto advances to NCAA 800-meter finals
Jun 10, 2014: Trio heads to Oregon for NCAA Championships