Men's Tennis Takes Care of No. 54 IndianaFebruary 17, 2002 · MT Media Relations
Middle Tennessee (6-0) jumped out quickly in the match, with the doubles pairing of Greg Pollack and Michael Staniak defeating IU's Ari Widlansky and Reid Strand, 8-3. The 27th-rated duo of Daniel Klemetz and Kirk Jackson gave the Blue Raiders the doubles point, winning their match by an identical score over Milan Rakvica and Jakub Praibis, with Klemetz ending the match with an ace.
In singles action, 12th-ranked Klemetz won easily over Rakvica at No. 1, 6-1, 6-1, and 27th-rated Gustafsson won a first-set tiebreaker before defeating Smiley at No. 2, 7-6 (5), 6-3. Jackson won the match for the Blue Raiders at No. 5, taking a 6-3, 6-3 decision over Jon Magnes.
Middle Tennessee's Michael Staniak and Trevor Short both fell in three sets, with Staniak dropping a 6-3, 4-6, 1-6 decision to Praibis. Short had a match point in the second set but could not convert, and eventually ran out of gas in his second three-setter in as many days, losing 7-5, 6-7 (6), 6-3 to IU's Tom Bagnato. Indiana also won at No. 6, with Recht defeating Rishan Kuruppu, 6-2, 6-4.
"I am very happy to be 6-0 as a team. We have always played well indoors and this season is no different," Middle Tennessee head coach Dale Short said. "Hopefully we can get a good week of practice in to get ready for a very good Georgia Tech club next weekend."
Middle Tennessee will end its current three-match homestand against 25th-rated Georgia Tech at noon on February 24.
1. (12) Daniel Klemetz (MT) def. Milan Rakvica (IU) - 6-1, 6-1
2. (27) Robert Gustafsson (MT) def. Rahman Smiley (IU) - 7-6 (5), 6-3
3. Jakub Praibis (IU) def. Michael Staniak (MT) - 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Tom Bagnato (IU) def. Trevor Short (MT) - 5-7, 7-6 (6), 6-3
5. Kirk Jackson (MT) def. Jon Magnes (IU) - 6-3, 6-3
6. Ryan Recht (IU) def. Rishan Kuruppu (MT) - 6-2, 6-4
1. (9) Foreman/Gustafsson (MT) def. Smiley/Recht (IU) - 9-7
2. (34) Klemetz/Jackson (MT) def. Rakvica/Praibis (IU) - 8-3
3. Pollack/Staniak (MT) def. Ari Widlansky/Reid Strand (IU) - 8-3
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsDec 3, 2013: Blue Raiders add Hoang for spring 2014 season
Nov 3, 2013: Blue Raiders wrap up play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 2, 2013: Raiders continue play at Louisville Invitational
Nov 1, 2013: Blue Raiders take part in first day of Louisville Invitational
Oct 28, 2013: Ground broken on new indoor tennis facility
Oct 25, 2013: Tennis teams to host free clinic Saturday for Murfreesboro kids