Blue Raiders Defeat No. 53 Virginia TechMarch 4, 2002 · MT Media Relations
The Blue Raiders ran their record to 9-0 on the season, their best start since beginning the 1997 campaign 12-0.
Middle Tennessee won the doubles point by taking two of three matches, including a 9-7 victory at No.1 by fifth-ranked Oliver Foreman and Robert Gustaffson. The 47th-rated duo of Daniel Klemetz and Kirk Jackson defeated Virginia Tech's Andreas Lauland and Stephane Rod, 8-4, at No. 2, while the Hokies' Michael Kurz and Davor Dupljak won at No. 3, 8-4 over Michael Staniak and Greg Pollack.
The Blue Raiders won the opening set in the first four singles matches, but had to claw their way to victory in two of the matches to claim the winning point in the dual match.
Klemetz, ranked 15th, won 6-2, 6-2 over No. 84 Kadiri at No. 1, but 40th-ranked Robert Gustafsson struggled in the final two sets, dropping a 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 decision to Huot. Staniak defeated Dupljak at No. 4, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, before No. 97 Foreman won 6-0, 6-7 (4), 6-4, at No. 3 for the deciding point in the dual match.
"I am very happy to be 9-0. We played well as a team once again," Blue Raider head coach Dale Short said. "We've been struggling with our doubles a little bit, but hopefully we can get that taken care of this weekend."
The Blue Raiders travel to Corpus Christi, Texas, this weekend to take part in the HEB Invitational. Middle Tennessee is the top seed in the tournament, taking on New Orleans at 8:30 a.m. Friday.
1. (15) Daniel Klemetz (MT) def. (84) Saber Kadiri (VT) 6-2, 6-4
2. Francis Huot (VT) def. (40) Robert Gustafsson (MT) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. (97) Oliver Foreman (MT) def. Andreas Lauland (VT) 6-0, 6-7 (4), 6-4
4. Michael Staniak (MT) def. Davor Dupljak (VT) 6-3, 6-7 (4), 6-3
5. Kirk Jackson (MT) def. Stephane Rod (VT) 6-2, 6-2
6. Michael Kurz (VT) def. Rishan Kuruppu (MT) 6-1, 6-7 (5), 10-1
1. (5) Foreman/Gustafsson (MT) def. Kadiri/Huot (MT) 9-7
2. (47) Klemetz/Jackson (MT) def. Lauland/Rod (MT) 8-6
3. Kurz/Dupljak (VT) def. Pollack/Staniak (MT) 8-4
Follow the Blue Raiders on Twitter @MTAthletics for continued updates.
More Men's Tennis NewsApr 20, 2013: Blue Raiders drop heartbreaker in SBC Championships
Apr 19, 2013: No. 1 seed Blue Raiders clinch berth in championship
Apr 18, 2013: No. 1 seed Blue Raiders face No. 4 seed Louisiana in SBC semifinal bout
Apr 17, 2013: Five Blue Raiders earn All-Sun Belt awards
Apr 16, 2013: Men's Tennis looks for three-peat at Sun Belt Championships
Apr 15, 2013: Zito named Athlete of the Week