Football Tailgating Guidelines
Middle Tennessee State University welcomes all alumni, students, fans and friends to our campus and believes that athletic events are an important component of the overall educational experience. Game day activities help build a sense of community and offer an opportunity for social interaction.
Our goal is to provide a safe, enjoyable environment for all guests and assure a pleasurable experience for everyone in attendance. All game day activities should be conducted mindful of the campus surroundings and all who choose to participate in game day activities are expected to conduct themselves in a responsible and respectful manner at all times. To assure that we maintain a high quality, safe environment for those in attendance, we have developed the following guidelines:
- The Walnut Grove will generally open at 7:30 a.m. on game day. Tailgate activities may begin no sooner than four and one half (4.5) hours prior to kick off. Weeknight game activities may be adjusted due to classes.
- Tailgate activities will cease 2 hours after the game kickoff, unless otherwise announced and the area will close. MTSU officials will ask those failing to comply to leave the premises.
- Persons remaining in the tailgate area after the game has commenced will be encouraged to vacate the area to attend the game with the exception of one caretaker. Uniformed officers will periodically patrol through the area.
- Personal recreational vehicles will not be permitted in the Walnut Grove tailgate area. The placement of RVâ€™s must be coordinated through the MTSU Athletic Department.
- Parking is prohibited on the east side of Old Main Circle. At no time should vehicles park on or obstruct access to sidewalks.
- Glass bottles are prohibited. All beverages must be in non-breakable cups.
- No large containers or community/common drink dispensers are permitted. Any device or activity used to increase the consumption of beverages is prohibited.
- No indoor use furniture, i.e. couches or recliners, is permitted.
- Everyone is expected to clean their tailgate area prior to kickoff. The dumping of hot coals in the tailgate area or in trash receptacles is prohibited.
- Only portable radio/stereo units will be allowed. Volume and the language in music must be appropriate for all ages.
- Any equipment requiring external power is allowable only with a small portable generator, 1500 -2000 watt max.; connecting to building power sources is prohibited. The use of gas powered generators must be approved in advance.
- Stand alone tents in the Walnut Grove that exceed 12â€™ x 12â€™ must be approved in advance. Driving stakes or anchors into the ground is notpermitted. Corporate tents are permitted in the designated tent area only (next to stadium) as approved by MTSU Athletics.
- Platforms, stages and enclosed tents are not permitted in the tailgating area(s).
- Soliciting, advertising or hawking of wares unless approved in advance by Student Unions & Programming and/or the Athletics Department is prohibited. Business solicitation and fundraising within Middle Tennessee facilities or on Middle Tennessee premises are prohibited unless specifically approved by the Middle Tennessee Athletics department. Game day distribution of flyers or leaflets on parked vehicles is expressly prohibited. Only MTSU Athletics or their designated representatives will be allowed to sell merchandise in the tailgate area.
- Items left in the tailgate area once the area closes will be confiscated and discarded.
- The possession or use of firearms is not permitted on the campus of Middle Tennessee State University.
- MTSU is a Tobacco-Free Campus and the use of tobacco will not be permitted. This policy applies to all forms of tobacco products including, but not limited to, cigarettes, pipes, cigars, chewing tobacco, and snuff, as well as smokeless electronic cigarettes and other similar devices.
- In adherence to TBR Policy, no alcoholic beverages of any kind are permitted on the MTSU Campus.
- Any violations of these guidelines may result in termination of tailgate privileges and criminal prosecution and/or action taken through the MTSU Office of Public Safety, the MTSU Dean of Students or the Murfreesboro Police Department.
- Exceptions to these guidelines, other than student and student organization reservations, can be made by calling the Athletics Department at 615-898-5322 or Student Unions and Programming at 615-898-2551.