• Back to Membership

  • Charles "Fuzzy" Harmening

    Inducted: 2009
    Sports: Basketball, Baseball

    Despite his first successful field goal attempt being a game-winning desperation shot at the buzzer, Charles "Fuzzy" Harmening had no idea that he would conclude his Blue Raider basketball career as the first 1,000 point scorer in the school's history with 1,006 points. As a freshman, Harmening broke into the starting lineup shortly after Christmas of the 1946-47 season, and stayed there for three and a half years.

    A native of Flintville, TN, Harmening came to MTSU after having served his country well in WWII, earning three Bronze Stars and a Distinguished Service Medal. He was a walk-on and made the team from among 70 or more players who tried out in 1946. He was captain of the team in both his junior and senior years, and was an all-conference (VSAC) performer in his junior season.

    During his career at MTSU, he played for three different Hall of Fame coaches, Dr. E.K.Patty, Coach Bubber Murphy and Coach Charlie Greer. Harmening also lettered in baseball in both his sophomore and junior seasons.

    Class of 2013

    Dewon Brazelton

    Roger Carroll

    Dwone Hicks

    Priscilla Robinson Murray
    Basketball, Volleyball

    James "Doug" Shrader
    Basketball, Baseball

    History of the Hall of Fame

    In the early spring of 1975, a pair of long-time supporters of Middle Tennessee State University's athletic program decided that the University should honor its greatest athletes. Homer Pittard, alumni director, and Gene Sloan, public relations director, came up with the idea and asked sports information director Jim Freeman to join them in setting up an athletic hall of fame.

    After getting approval for the Hall of Fame from President M. G. Scarlett, the trio began laying the groundwork to select the first inductees. Others, including Bob Womack and Joe Nunley, were also involved.

    "We decided not to have categories but to put all candidates in one group," said Freeman. "We also decided against inducting a large group to start with and felt that three per year was the ideal number. That way, everyone got a good share of the spotlight."

    The nominating and voting for the first several years was done by members of the old "T" Club, now reorganized and called the Varsity Club. Nominations were solicited, and the the list of candidates was mailed to the voters. They selected Horace Jones, Charles "Bubber" Murphy and Teddy Morris as the initial inductees in 1976.

    The Blue Raider Hall of Fame was originally housed in the old Blue Raider Room under the west side of the football stadium. It had to be torn down when then stadium was expanded in 1998. After several years without a home, the Hall of Fame moved into the new Rose and Emmett Kennon Sports Hall of Fame building in 2004.